Author Topic: Fuel cap down pipe  (Read 3626 times)

AK1161

• View Profile
Fuel cap down pipe
« on: May 16, 2018, 20:14:01 »
Good evening to one and all.
I have recently removed the old fuel cap on my Ace and whilst the cap itself is in good condition we had to destroy the screw fit filler base and the down pipe from this. The screw fit filler base I can get from Ceandess but the pipe that screws onto this, and holds the cap in place I cannot find. For those of you that have replaced your filler caps did you find a better solution than the screw on downpipe and if so what holds the filler cap in position on the underside of the bodywork ?
Keith has very kindly supplied me with some drawings of the downpipe but I wondered if anyone has found a more simple solution.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts or ideas.
Luke

Norman

• View Profile
Re: Fuel cap down pipe
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 23:43:13 »
Do you mean the rubber pipe that connects to the tank or a metal part that goes under the wing to secure the cap? My cap is non-standard and has nothing underneath except a pipe, which being the right length prevents the cap from moving upwards. The pipe is standard across all Aces I think, it is 60mm bore which when I sought a replacement (about six years ago) was not available except in very short lengths for a Mk2 Cortina. I paid for a rubber manufacturer to make a mould and then bought the first tube out of it, so if you need a pipe it should now be available at a sensible price. Let me know if you want the contact details.

AK1161

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 05:37:17 »
Yes I need to get that 60mm bore metal pipe that holds the cap in place and attaches to the rubber hose at its base.
I would appreciate any contact information.
Cheers, Luke

Norman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 21:05:19 »
I got my pipe from Classeparts, who can be reached via this linK:
http://www.classiccarwebsite.com/classeparts-ltd
His part description was '1461 filler neck hose AC Cobra' and his invoice to me was number CP/4485, dated 13/2/12. He charged me £70.75 but said much of that was the cost of creating the mould, which I thought was fair enough. But his invoice said the recommended price was £78.75! So I don't know what he would charge, depends perhaps on how many customers he has had in the meantime. He struck me as a straight guy though. And it was certainly true that (at the time at least) it was absolutely impossible to source hose of the right diameter anywhere else. The Mk2 Cortina apparently had hose this size, but only a very short length, so no use for an AC.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 01:15:16 »
Luke

I was under the impression that the MK1-2 Cobra had the same fuel filler cap but it  was on the centre line of the rear scuttle, with the fuel tank directly above the rear diff/axle,   Very little clearance or room to attach the fuel filler base to the hose spigot on top of the tank...   .. Size ? Suitability and interchange with
that of the  Ace ??.

After checking could you please give me some feed back,  better still post conclusion on this thread.

Keith

AK1161

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 07:07:52 »
I will report back .
Luke

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 08:20:39 »
New steel down pipes to suit the Ceandess filler necks are available from Acton Custom Enterprises in the US.
http://actoncobra.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=43&products_id=301
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 08:23:54 by Klassik Metall »

James Eastwood

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 14:04:32 »
I bought a 400 mm length of filler pipe from Merlin Motorsport (after much searching!) for about £40 including VAT & shipping. Its actually 57mm, or 2.25" so may need to be warmed slightly to fit it, mine is awaiting fitment.

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/fuel-filler-hose-non-reinforced-per-200mm-ffh

I particularly like the pipe, because it has that sort of period wrapped look and has no branding or spec numbers printed on it that much fuel pipe does, therefore it looks very authentic.

James