Author Topic: Tyres  (Read 5057 times)

AK1161

• View Profile
Tyres
« on: July 09, 2010, 07:40:52 »
As a new Cobra owner i feel a little embarrassed to keep posting questions but as you all know the answers are rarely simple and sometimes difficult to find.
   So sorry to ask you all again......I have 16'' wheels and am trying to find suitable tyres...what do you all run on ?
   Thanks, Luke

linklaw

• View Profile
Tyres
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 14:07:20 »
I have been using BF Goodrich G-Force Sport tires on my car for the last several years. I replaced the original Goodyear Gatorbacks with these tires and noticed a world of difference.  The Gatorbacks, while having a lot of tread left, were like glass to drive on. The BF Goodrich were one of the few matching front and rear sets of tires available at the time and were reasonably priced. John

cobham cobra

• View Profile
Tyres
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 16:43:36 »
The fronts aren't really a problem, but for the rears there's good news and bad news. We share the 255 - 50 / 16 with Mustangs and Corvettes which should mean tyres are plentiful - but they are not. Their US and UK forums all have topics on the problem of tyre availability. The bad news is, we also share the tyre size with a few Aston Martin  and Ferrari models so you just know it isn't going to be a budget solution.

I have been running Khumos all round for the last 16,000 miles and they have been great, but Khumo have now stopped making the 255 - 50 / 16. I have contacted Khumo in the UK to see if they have any left in a corner of the warehouse and they don't. As a back-up, yesterday I bought a pair via EBay which must be the last Khumo 255-50 in the UK. I've searched the internet and also contacted www.micheldever.co.uk in Hampshire as they are recommended on the Mustang and Corvette forums and they have a few sets of the BF Goodrich in "our" size at a reasonable price.

I also contacted Longstone Tyres who were very helpful and told me Michelin have recently re-issued the Pilot Sport in their Classic range, but at £ 400 + VAT each for the 255 - 50 / 16 it's a tad expensive http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk//page/5756.

Currently, I'm talking with Khumo to see if they have a road legal track tyre and will let you know how I get on.

All the best - John.

nikbj68

• View Profile
Tyres
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 17:18:44 »
Could you get away with 55`s? Surely that extra 5% of height wouldn`t foul anywhere, would it?...and think of the extra softness of ride!!! [;)][:o)]

There`s a set of 4 used Kumho 255/55/16`s HERE ON eBAY finishing on the 18th of July, no bids yet, £99.(No mention of speed rating, but I think I can just about make out a 'V' in one pic.)

There are also 5 Uniroyal 255/50/16`s ('W' rated!) on Mercedes rims on eBAY for £450 buy-it-now or offers, but maybe some of the £90 per tyre could be clawed back by re-selling the rims?!

Just a thought. [:)]

cobham cobra

• View Profile
Tyres
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 18:27:15 »
Hi Nik,
   Supportive, knowledgeable and creative, what more could I ask for - thank you for your suggestion.[;)]
   Maybe I should just jack the suspension up and fit Wrangler T/A mud and snow tyres and have done with it.[:)]

Cheers - John.

nikbj68

• View Profile
Tyres
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 19:48:34 »
quote:
Originally posted by cobham cobra

Hi Nik,
   Supportive, knowledgeable and creative, what more could I ask for - thank you for your suggestion.[;)]
   Maybe I should just jack the suspension up and fit Wrangler T/A mud and snow tyres and have done with it.[:)]

Cheers - John.

LOL...It`s only 1/2" extra on the radius... street tread patterns...
   No-one need know they came off some hairdressers` Jeep, it`ll be our secret!

Oh well, I tried! [;)]

nikbj68

• View Profile
Tyres
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 01:34:11 »
quote:
Originally posted by cobham cobra...Maybe I should just jack the suspension up and fit Wrangler T/A mud and snow tyres and have done with it.[:)]...

You wouldn`t be the first!!!!(Click pic for story!)

Alan Faulkner-Stevens

• View Profile
Tyres
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 07:15:16 »
The last set of 16 inch tyres I purchased for a Cobra were Kumho Ecsta V70A, which are basically a track day tyre and have a hard compound. The sizes used were 225/50x16 [front] and 265/45x16[rear] These were recommended to me by John Lewis, before he sold his car and he said they were fantastic. I only drove a Cobra fitted with them a short distance but found them good, hope that helps.

REV

• View Profile
Tyres
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 08:40:53 »
If they are of any use to anyone I have a set of Eagle VR 50's and the spare. They are all VGC (nearly new) and one tyre has never been used. They are all on a set of Autocraft 16" knock off Rims that are in pretty good condition. They came off my lightweight. I've no idea how old they are though.

cobham cobra

• View Profile
Tyres
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 13:13:18 »
Thanks, but I think tyres can "go off" after a few years and their grip is reduced. When I got my MkIV I think it still had the original tyres. Even though it had only done 6.500 miles in 13 years, the grip was transformed with a new set of boots.

Thanks for the offer though.
   Cheers - John.

bobbylangley

• View Profile
Tyres
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 14:42:06 »
Think you're right John. My tyres were 16 years old (and hardly worn) when I needed a bit of grip on the white lines on a very cold damp road. Tree 1 - Bob 0! After the event wise sages said "Aaaah, you should have changed those tyres"... [^]

REV

• View Profile
Tyres
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 19:53:01 »
I agree. I'd buy new tyres every time. I never expected anything much for the tyres, but the rims must be worth something????

When I get a minute I'll put them on ebay and see what happens, buy the rims get the tyres free!

[:D]