Author Topic: Ace Bristol BE173 registration no. 4 BPG  (Read 5483 times)

nikbj68

• View Profile
Ace Bristol BE173 registration no. 4 BPG
« on: August 16, 2013, 13:44:26 »
I was recently contacted by the owner of Ace Bristol BE173, registration number 4 BPG.
   having checked the registry, it appears that it was 'ex-works' on the same day as BE212, 5 BPG, making them almost twins!!!
   Below are photos from Jan in the Czech Republic, and the email he sent me:

"Dear Nik, This thread of 5 BPG is really beautiful. So I would like to have about my 4BPG.

I bought my AC Ace Bristol chassis No. BE 173 in 2002 from Nick Faure in Dorchester with Reg. No. 4BPG on the car. I was pleased about that, because the Reg. No. 4BPG is part of the cars history since very beginning and will be in the future.

I restored the car for a few following years. The restoration works were very demanding, because 10 years ago were in Czech Republic just few people, which even new that such car as AC Ace is even existing, the less so they had important informations or spare parts. I thing the outcome is nice and there is nothing to be ashamed of. (see a few pics)

At the beginning I was member of ACOC, but I am no more. It was difficult for me to take part at club events in England, because of distance and time. I took part at AC Ace 50 th anniversary meeting in Donington 2003, but only as spectator. It was nice experience.

Now to my questions:
       I know just names of previous owners, but it will be interesting to know something about early history of this car (maybe racing history) in 50´s, 60´s, contemporary photos or written referencies
       Was there any connection between 4BPG and 5BPG cars? Does have BPG some meaning in english?
       Where can I find out what hapenned wih Reg. No. 4BPG. I hope it wasn´t misused.

I have letter from Tony Bancroft, who writes me, that he has confirmation from Nick Faure, previous owner, that this Reg. No. will retain with car.
   Any help from you will be very welcome.
   Best regards, Jan Klapa
"

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 14:13:18 »
I`ll start the replies off firstly by welcoming Jan to the ACOC forum! What a beautiful Ace, and the restoration is one to be very proud of, even more so from the difficulties faced. [8D]

Regarding a meaning of 'BPG'; no, there isn`t one, nor any direct connection to 5 BPG. Registration numbers ending 'PA', or 'PG' or 'PH' appear on many AC Cars, as the regional licensing offices at the time had various combinations allocated, for a full explanation, see HERE.

The Ace Bristol Register states that Nick Faure sold the registration number 4 BPG, and I knew that I had seen it on another car.  Yesterday, by chance, on a TV show called 'Wreck Rescue' filmed in 2007, I spotted Nick Faure`s Porsche 356 at The Pau Historique bearing the very same number!

And also at the Goodwood revival in 2008:

No 28, Porsche 356, Driver Nick Faure. Fordwater Trophy, Goodwood Revival 2008 by Bill Martin

BUT. As you can see from the 1st photo, the Porsche now( Donington 2012) has the registration number 740 XUU, so unless the number was transferrred back to the Ace, I don`t know where 4 BPG is now, nor how to find out (it isn`t on a vehicle currently insured for road use in the UK!).
    It is only an issue if you intended to bring or sell the car back into the UK, I assume that you have a Czech registration for it too?

Well, I hope this thread brings some information about your Ace`s history, and thanks for sharing your photos with us. [:D]

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 11:42:15 »
   Jan Klapa.

On consulting  the USA Ace/Aceca register dated December 1991, compiled by R Basolt, Box 8209, Foster City, CA 94404, USA. (415-573-6222).   Refers to BE173 being mentioned in  2 copies of ACtion Magazine.

Vol 7  number 10, dated March 1984 (page 3)

New Member:-
   Michaek R Hallowes
   Eight Bells
   Alfold Bars
   Loxwood Nr Billingshurst
   Sussex.

BE173 fitted with 2 litre Alfa twin cam by Previous ownwer.

Vol 14   number 3,  dated July 1990 (page 24)

New Member:-
   Peter W M Korner
   2 Stanhope Gardens
   London
   SW7 5RG

You state you have Names of previous owners, not sure if confirmation of old address/s of previous owner's help with your
   research for History of BE173.

Maybe one or two members reading this  thread know of or live close to either of these two earlier owners and can thereby supply more information and possibly
   furnish you with period racing photos..[;)]

Good Luck with your Quest.

Keith..[:)]

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 18:37:57 »
A message from Jan:

"Hi Nik,
   thanks for all provided informations and your help by opening thread on ACOC forum.
   I´m glad to be an AC owner (even more so with noble Bristol engine) and also to be a part of friendly community of AC owners and fans.

I would like to greet all of you and say thanks to those, who helped me by restoring my car in the past and also to Keith and all of you, who will provide me some helpful informations about history of my car.

Thanks, Jan.
"

philip.mc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 12:11:00 »
great pictures of 4 BPG BE173.  I owned it for 14 years from 1968 to 1982.  I used it as my everyday car for about eight years and have many happy memories.  It had never been raced when I bought it.  It was originally owned by Cars biscuits in Carlisle.  I got fed up with the Bristol engine.  There were a couple of cars with Daimler 2 1/2 liter V-8's however that engine was very broad and would have meant chopping the foot wells.  I eventually fitted an Alfa Romeo 2 litre engine.  Chassis build in Wedensbury put in the new engine mounts straightened the chassis and put some strengthening in the sills and floor.The cross member for the alfa gearbox fitted perfectly with a couple of small brackets.  The whole car felt perfectly balanced and went very well.  I understand it was raced after I sold it.  I won't tell you what I originally paid for it and sold it for.  They were happy days and a lot of fun.

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 10:50:27 »
Thanks very much for the info, Philip! Go on, please tell us how much you paid for the Ace... Dad paid £175 for 5 BPG in `62, but it did look a little second-hand at the time!
   Although you changed the engine, did the Bristol stay with the ace?

philip.mc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 14:21:12 »
No the Bristol engine didn't stay with the car.  The engine number was 100 D2 525.  It had the 9.5 to one Pistons and was a reasonable engine.  However as a daily driver summer and winter it was a bit temperamental, and with the power band only coming in at 3000 revs not the best car to drive in heavy traffic.  I initially got involved with an engineer to do the work, highly recommended turned out to be a waste of space.  Never completed the work I wanted him to do.  As far as I remember the engine was sold to somebody called McPherson who raced a Cooper Bristol.  Originally paid £350 for 4BPG in 1968.  They were just old cars then that young impecunious folk like myself could have fun with.Phil Mc

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 14:51:03 »
£350? You could have had a Brand New Vauxhall Viva in `68 for that!!!!
   You are elevated to some sort of hero-status for using it as a daily driver, even in winter!
   My young impecuniosity had to be satisfied with a `73 Fiat 500. [:(] (It was fun though, to be fair!)

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 18:32:48 »
   Jan.

Refering to Phil.Mc  ......  selling the Bristol engine 100D 525 to Roddy McPherson who successfully race a Cooper Bristol and owned a bloody well tweeked BMW328.

Roddy has close connections with  Tony Byford my Brstol Engine builder,  Long shot I know but Tony Byford has comprehensive records on each Bristol and BMW engine he has ever rebuilt.  (from day one).[:)]
   He may have record of who bought it from Roddy or if he has rebuilt 100D 525  since Roddy sold it on, he could well have owner's details..[?]

Try Tony Byford on Tel:-  0044 (0) 1793 740 794
   or
   e-mail on :-  tony@abyford.wanadoo.co.uk

Keith ...[;)]