AC Owners Club Forum > AC Weller Engine

Head gasket,valve timing done, All good at last!

(1/6) > >>

GSouthee:
Hi ya now it seems I have a blown head gasket, getting water into oil I think ( milky substance around oil breathers in last week or so, water loss and bubbles into rad when hot. Checked cylinder pressures and rear 2 are down to around 100/110 psi rest at 135+. Somewhat annoyed as engine only done 18000 since rebuild albeit in 1965.

So ordered head gasket and some other gaskets as needed from Rod Briggs. (Bloody hell they cost more than the engine rebuild back i the day).  got everything undone ready loosened head bolts (noted one side was tightened to around 60 psi while other side was around 45 psi all should be 40 psi, strange).

Just cant get the camshaft stud undone, anyone know if it turns in normal direction or is reverse thread????

Got to get it done as going to new years parade (hopefully)

GSouthee:
Well got bolt/stud out.  Handbrake on, in gear, wheels chocked, heat applied, hardwood wedge in between head casing and sprocket (Thanks Rod Briggs for that one), then 2 foot tube over spanner once the end was cut off and Hey Presto its off.

Now cant get head to split from block. Got under constant pull from above on hoist with straps, so much so it was almost lift car up. Tapped with wood block and club hammer. Don't want to pry it apart in case damage bock face or head. Now soaked all head studs in wd40 and going to get a paint scraper to try and get between the 2 layers of the old gasket.

Anyone got any good ideas let me know.

Dam never had a head like this and rebuilt loads of V8's in the past.

Still perseverance is good for building spirit.

Cheers

3.5 Pints at the Bar:
Mine came off after cranking the engine to use the compression (on the unaffected cylinders). If there's still say, 100psi, for some cylinders, that equates to about 500lbs lift concentrated around that cylinder. I also hammered in wooden wedges between the gasket layers.

I've known others who suspended the front of the car, hanging on the cylinder head, which applies about 1400lbs force - but being careful how it is attached to a hoist, so as not to risk cracking/breaking the head.

GSouthee:
Cheers 3.5 pints,

Yep mine is still under pull on hoist, don't want to exert too much pull as when it lets go it may take off.  Going to try the scraper, wood wedges etc. too late for the compression thing as timing pulley off now.

Lets hope for success.

Cheers  G

GSouthee:
Finally got it off, paint scraper, 4 hardwood wedges, 1 hoist, a little heat, lots of profanity, and bruised hand (missed a wedge with the hammer, more profanity).

Head looks ok, little blow hole between rear 2 cylinders (see pic link).

Bit of muck in bottom of water jacket will flush out before all goes back together.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bipj98o3i2k4kd1/DSCN0856.JPG?dl=0

Cheers  G

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version