AC Owners Club Forum > AC Weller Engine

Exhaust Silencers?

(1/4) > >>

GSouthee:
HI just what are the 2 silencer things by the manifold and are they effective or restrictive?

Cheers  Gary

GSouthee:
Hi, well it seems that I am not the only one who has no idea as to the use of the 2 silencer type cans judging by the views and lack of response.

Still I am sure someone will let me know in due course.

Gary

Jam2:
On a two stroke engine they might be expansion chambers which have the effect of sucking out the exhaust gasses and thus pulling in the incoming mixture. I can't quite see how that would function on a four stroke!  So no help from me.......

GSouthee:
Hi Yes thats what I thought, it has been suggested that they are pre silencers, however not sure what that would be. Mainly I want to try and find out is whether they are restrictive or nor not. The AC engines Ace seems to have 6 branch manifolds without these so maybe not all that much use really.  Still will keep on trying to find out before I consider  a 6 branch manifold to improve things.

Cheers

administrator:
The story is that Charles Hurlock had a theory that noise went sideways and they were his solution to the problem.  Mine are blanked off and it doesn't seem to make any difference, perhaps unsurprisingly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version