Author Topic: Ethanol & additives ?  (Read 6072 times)

Classicus

• View Profile
Ethanol & additives ?
« on: May 20, 2012, 17:15:56 »
Unfortunately I know absolutely nothing about Ethanol and additives etc., so it would be interesting to know what the situation is not only with classic cars but very helpful with more modern cars that are now getting on a bit as well.

Thanks in advance  [:)]

Jam2

• View Profile
Ethanol & additives ?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 07:01:41 »
http://www.millersoils.co.uk/news/2012/160412-Fuel-Additives-and-Ethanol.asp

May be helpful to you.

There is a link to the FBHVC in a previous posting as well.

Classicus

• View Profile
Ethanol & additives ?
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 09:35:42 »
Thanks ! Have you tried it yet ?

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
Ethanol & additives ?
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 21:53:53 »
Isn't the real question to ask: where can we still get ethanol free petrol (E0) 95 or 97/98 RON in the UK (and on the continent)?
   Since I'll travel some 2,000 miles in the MkIV Cobra early June, I'll be concerned if I had to fill up only E10 unleaded fuel (90% unleaded petrol and 10% ethanol).
   Making some quick search on the internet, I couldn't find any recent information (Q1/2012) on fuel grades of major oil companies.
   Information stemming from Q3/2011 suggested that most regular unleaded petrol is at least E5, if not E10. Premium unleaded at BP, Esso and Texaco sites was still E free with regional exceptions. Murco claimed to be E free on all grades. Shell does not make any official statement and is supposed to have E5 only unless otherwise stated.
   If anyone has better  and upto date information that could be shared, it would sure help.

Classicus

• View Profile
Ethanol & additives ?
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 22:45:33 »
Did a quick search, can't find a date but it seems quite recent.

Hope it helps....

http://www.sam-manicom.com/2012/03/a-question-of-ethanol/

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
Ethanol & additives ?
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 23:21:38 »
thanks C.
   good summary indeed with conclusion for our > 10 year old cars: go for 97/98 RON premium grade fuel

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
Ethanol & additives ?
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 23:54:25 »
Constant, I suppose we are all in the same situation of finding out the hard way if ethanol is going to do as much harm to our old machines as its production does to the environment. For what it's worth I have had no problems in running on these fuels, but very serious problems storing a car with ethanol in the fuel system - corrosion and biological growth. Having discussed the situation with MIllers I am using their 'Tank Safe' product, too soon to draw any conclusion though.
   So far as Dunkeld goes we have been welcomed by BP who are giving us a 2p/litre discount on 'Ultimate' 97 octane and that contains no ethanol. The filling station is up the A9 at Pitlochry, full information on arrival. Safe Journey.

Jam2

• View Profile
Ethanol & additives ?
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 06:50:57 »
Classiicus,  no I haven't tried it.  I have used 'Stabil' in the fuel if the car was likely to remain unused for more than 4 weeks, but have no idea if it is doing any good!
   Much of my driving is done in France, pumps with E10 seem to be in the minority and while many are not marked E5, I think nearly all fuel now has some ethanol in it.

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ethanol & additives ?
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 10:14:37 »
There is a lot of information here:

http://fbhvc.co.uk/bio-fuels/

The only good news is that 10% ethanol fuel is now unlikely to be introduced (at least on a large scale in the UK) until 2014.

Classicus

• View Profile
Ethanol & additives ?
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 11:22:36 »
Interesting also another interesting item about 2/3rds of the way down.... I wonder where ?

Some concerns have been raised about the use of metals in fuel, but it is still permitted to sell leaded petrol in the UK for historic vehicle owners, and although the volume of sales is low, this concession to owners of historic vehicles has not been revoked by the EU, and indeed was recently endorsed for the future. In addition, at least one manufacturer sells a product containing lead alkyl additive for historic vehicle owners to dose into fuel themselves.

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
Ethanol & additives ?
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 11:35:04 »
quote:
Originally posted by B.P.Bird

So far as Dunkeld goes we have been welcomed by BP who are giving us a 2p/litre discount on 'Ultimate' 97 octane and that contains no ethanol. The filling station is up the A9 at Pitlochry, full information on arrival. Safe Journey.

thanks Barrie [:)]

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
Ethanol & additives ?
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 12:24:18 »
Further to my brief reference to the storage damage experienced from ethanol fuel (see post on 21st May) I have now found that the diaphragm in my AC Delco mechanical fuel pump on LM5000 has been attacked and the rubber coating dissolved away leaving the woven, canvas like supporting materiel bare and completely porous to the fuel. The result of this after 4 miles of running (down to the MOT tester and back for her very last appointment) is a sump heavily contaminated with petrol. The warning was a rapid decrease in oil pressure from the usual 60 to 25 psi and, on inspection, the dipstick showing an overfilled condition and smelling strongly of petrol. Replacing the diaphragm is simple, but be careful to obtain an overhaul kit which is ethanol compatible. I found that Rimmer Bros. do one, AEU 2760A, which they assure me is ethanol compatible and not made in China.

Old Crock

• View Profile
Ethanol & additives ?
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 17:05:47 »
Now an e-petition - with enough signatures, the government must reconsider:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/15535

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
Ethanol & additives ?
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 19:13:21 »

This might help get a few more signed up.

Graham

SBB

• View Profile
Ethanol & additives ?
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2012, 20:06:52 »
This is pointless. After having made six attempts to get the captcha right, I gave up.