Author Topic: carbs and cooling  (Read 10773 times)

musicman

• View Profile
carbs and cooling
« on: January 17, 2008, 21:46:49 »
Hi all,
   Sorry for not being in contact but i have been out of circulation for 3/4 months with health problems, but hopefuly they are now behind me.
   Well on to the 428. I am taking the holly carb to have it cleaned and set up with the correct vacuumm unit, spring setting etc , over the next two weeks. After this i hope that when giving the car full throttle it will behave and go as it should.
   Now on to another interesting item, Engine heat!
   My 428 always ran close to 90 degrees and over and when confronted with a long hill, the temp would rise to 100 degree plus.
   I have read all of the items on the 428 problems of getting to hot, and many of the remedies seem to work, here is one of mine.
   when racing my own old AC in the 70/80's one thing i always made sure of was that the fan belt was correctly tensioned to run the fan.
   Looking at my 428 engine it did not have a mechanical fan, only the electric fan situated in front of the radiator, yes enough to help cool the radiator, but by the time the air passed through the rad and into the engine bay there was no sign of air being moved into the engine bay with any strenght.
   I carried out a simple test with tissue paper being placed and taped around the front of the engine, when the electric fan was pressed into service it made no movement of the pieces of tissue on the front of the engine. However when I had a good old fashioned mechanical fan fitted from one of my old AC engines, run off the top pulley with a special adapter unit being made and fitted to carry the new fan, the results were dramatic. The tissue paper just tore and  disappeared with the volume of air being moved at the front of the engine.
   When i tried pieces of cloth instead of the tissue, they moved and flapped as in a serious gale.
   I have driven the car recently and the temp runs a good 10 degrees less when climbing hills, and the motor runs at about 80/85 degrees on normal roads.
   Am I lucky or does the mechanical fan really help in moving the stale ,very hot air from under the bonnet, i think it really does help, at tick over and at higher revs, as the fan runs at what ever the revs require, eg the higher the revs the more air is generated and moved by the fan.
   regards,
   MusicMan

Emmanueld

• View Profile
carbs and cooling
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 22:24:23 »
Musicman,

The original fan on these cars is placed behind the radiator on an horizontal bar, it is too small and too far from the radiator to be effective. I installed a large electric fan bolted to the radiator itself and have no problem with cooling whatsoever.

Regards,

Emmanuel

musicman

• View Profile
carbs and cooling
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 10:48:27 »
Emmanuel,
   Thanks for the info, my car has the electric fan fitted to the front of the rad, its big it works but does'nt give any assistance to the air in the engine bay. There seems to be many cures to the overheating problems the cars seem to suffer from, long may they continue,
   regards,

Classicus

• View Profile
carbs and cooling
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 11:55:36 »
Hi Musicman

Is there any chance you could manage to send a few details and a colour pic or two of CF 48 (similar to the other entries) to go on the AC 428 Register sometime ? It's looking kinda bare on there at the moment ! [:D]

Thanks in advance if you can [:)]

Paul/ Cass