Author Topic: 2 Litre Saloon Fan Belt Replacement  (Read 5089 times)

Gordon Rainbird

• View Profile
2 Litre Saloon Fan Belt Replacement
« on: August 03, 2009, 23:18:04 »
I need to change the fan belt on my 1951 2 litre saloon.
   I have tried to remove the existing fan belt. It comes off the fan and water pump pulley but cannot be removed from the engine bay, as the lowest pulley is to close to the chassis. Am I able to split the fan to remove it? Where can I get a new fan belt from? Any advice would be appreciated!

cassiewoofer

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 13:15:36 »
I changed the fanbelt on our 2 litre saloon last year, I think I just cut the damaged one as I found a spare in the boot (grandad was so organised like that.
    I will have a look at the car this week but I think the gap between chassis and wheel was just big enough to squeeze the new on in whilst turning the engine with the starter handle.
    The two engine mounting bolts at the front were adjustable on eccentric spindles so turning those (temporarily) might give you a slightly bigger gap. What does it say in the owners manual..... anything about this small gap?
    As far as getting a new one, I'm sure someone else can help as I've no idea!
    Good luck.

Gordon Rainbird

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 14:23:41 »
The owners manual only talks about ajusting the fan height to tighten the belt. The belt seems well past that, so needs replacing. I suspect it was considered one of those jobs every body new how to do at the time, so they didn't consider it worth mentioning. The belt looks as though it may able to be split and re-attached. I don't want to try this until I am sure, and have a suitable replacement. The car is at least drivable at the moment - if noisey.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 17:42:19 »
quote:
Originally posted by cassiewoofer

I changed the fanbelt on our 2 litre saloon last year, I think I just cut the damaged one as I found a spare in the boot (grandad was so organised like that.
    I will have a look at the car this week but I think the gap between chassis and wheel was just big enough to squeeze the new on in whilst turning the engine with the starter handle.
    The two engine mounting bolts at the front were adjustable on eccentric spindles so turning those (temporarily) might give you a slightly bigger gap. What does it say in the owners manual..... anything about this small gap?
    As far as getting a new one, I'm sure someone else can help as I've no idea!
    Good luck.

Gordon

I seem to recollect that the Fan belt is a very tight fit between the  Crankshaft Pulley and the Chassis, You might have to loosen the engine mount bolts and jack up the engine to gain those few valuable millimetres.

If the engine is not in the car, it is worth grinding out a small amount of material from the Chassis.

I assume the reason for this problem,  Is,  as the cars get older the engine settles lower due to wear of the engine mounts( they  take on middle age spread and gravity takes over).  I do believe the Booth Brothers have experienced a similar problem with their latest  AC restoration and wish they had releaved the chassis area to eliminate this problem, prior to fitting the engine and box.

A get You Home Idea !!

If you have to change the fan belt on the roadside to get you home, I have used 5 Large cable ties,on my Ace Bristol and continued my journey at 70mph without any further fuss. Takes longer to cut off the unwanted ends of the cable ties than carry out the temp repair,  Saves time and  is a darn site safer if stuck on the hard shoulder of the motorway or in a unlit area late at night.

Appy Motoring

Keith

Gordon Rainbird

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 19:38:41 »
Okay! Thanks for that. At least I know. Lift the engine it is then. Does anyone know where I might get a new fan belt?

Gordon Rainbird

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 20:15:32 »
After looking on the ACOC small ads webpage, I phoned Brian Eacott. He has a new fan belt, so problem sorted. Many thanks for all your help.

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 10:08:24 »
These guys are recommended on the VSCC Forum as suppliers of 'V-Belt T-Link' linked belts which you can fit around an obstacle:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/page4.html

I have seen one fitted to a PVT AC and have one as a spare - on the pre-war engine it's particularly useful as the fan belt goes around the bottom hose.

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 11:25:40 »
NU-T-Link Belting is made by Fenner Drives, the section i believe you require is A/13 section, whilst you can purchase it direct from Fenner it is best to get short lengths from there agents.
   Contact for Fenner is  ' www.fennerdrives.com' phone 08707577007.
   They make a lighter type also which is suitable as the load on the belt is light so ask about that type also, i am using this belting for my projects.

Robin

Gordon Rainbird

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 00:03:36 »
Thanks very much for that. Looking on the websites, I have one of these belts on at the moment, so at least I now know I can remove and replace the existing belt without to much fuss. It will cerainly be easier to fit than the endless sort. Regards Gordon.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 09:49:16 »
quote:
Originally posted by Gordon Rainbird

Thanks very much for that. Looking on the websites, I have one of these belts on at the moment, so at least I now know I can remove and replace the existing belt without to much fuss. It will cerainly be easier to fit than the endless sort. Regards Gordon.

Gordon

So you bought two fan belts, ( keeping a spare in the boot.)

Is the AC now up and running and firing on all six cylinders?