Author Topic: suspension 'cv or not cv'  (Read 5699 times)

AK1161

• View Profile
suspension 'cv or not cv'
« on: May 22, 2010, 16:08:36 »
Hi to everyone,
   Have recently purchased Mkiv number AK1161 from 1986 and it is driving a little like a 2cv with 340bhp. Exciting is an understatement as you can probably imagine. Have checked bushes and shocks which seem fine. Have no anti roll system in place beneath the car and was looking for some ideas and feedback on the best way to go about it. Is it a bespoke system?...easy to fit?...even available?
   Thanks, AK1161

C9OBY

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 08:22:43 »
Hi, welcome

Fitting anti-roll bars (both front and rear) will be a very good first step, thereafter you can look at firmer springs, new shock absorbers etc.

I would suggest that you take your car along to Thunder Road Speed Shop (Alan and Alec) who are well known for being very good at setting up Cobra suspensions.  They can also do any fabrication required to make your anti-roll bars etc.  They're based just outside Woking (Surrey) and can be reached on 01483 763 399.

Good luck!

AK1161

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 10:28:29 »
Thanks for that very useful info. I'll call them monday and see what they say. What type of cobra do you have ?
   Thanks again AK1161

C9OBY

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 12:33:43 »
quote:
Originally posted by AK1161

Thanks for that very useful info. I'll call them monday and see what they say. What type of cobra do you have ?
   Thanks again AK1161

No problem, let them know I sent you their way.  I've got the MKIV CRS shown in the "CRS rebuild after a Castle Coombe incident" posting.  Below is one of the final photos taken during my rebuild, showing Alec (on the left) and Alan finalising my suspension setup.

Bruce

AK1161

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 22:27:03 »
Spoke to Alec today and he reckons a change of shocks and springs with a suspension setup should do the job so i will keep you posted.
   Thanks again and here is a photo of car as present.
   PS How can i attach a  photo as you did.

C9OBY

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 08:36:19 »
1. Go to Photobucket or Flickr & register(free & anonymous).
   2.When offered the 'choose an image' box, browse your computer to find the picture you want to share with us, then press 'upload' .
   3. If neccesary, resize the picture using the 'edit' & 'resize' features, then copy the 'IMG' stuff in the bottom box, such as: [lMG]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q113/nikbj68/37dsmall.jpg[/lMG] simply by 'left-clicking' once on it.

4. Come back to this forum, then either start new thread, post reply or reply with quote as normal, but when you want to insert the picture, paste the copied bit from above like this:
   [lMG]http://www.acownersclub.co.uk/forum/icon_editor_image.gif[/lMG]
   5. Hey Presto! picture in post.

SB7019

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 19:51:25 »

Bruce.  I'm testing your photo upload instructions with this shot of Alec's 55 Chevy taken last weekend at Gambon Corner on the Top Gear Track.  If he can make an old heavy barge corner as flat as this a Cob should be no problem!

AK1161

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 20:28:24 »
Hope this works.

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 13:09:08 »
Nice shot Peter obviously pushing hard, but staying very flat!!! Those instructions look rather familiar. [;)]
   Hopefully 1161 will soon handle as good as she looks, thanks for posting the photo, Bill. [:D]

SB7019

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 18:04:58 »
Nick.

Plagiarisation is the sincerest from of flattery.  And to think that if I had read your original post I could have been bombarding the site for years with photos.  Here's one (taken by John Norris) of me driving my daughter round the same bend at Dunsfold.   Mine is set for comfort (no anti roll bars etc.) which leads to quite a lot of lean.

cobham cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 11:48:35 »
I also am built for comfort and this has been known to cause a degree of lean at times. Should I fit anti-roll bars or just sit down ?

duggan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 22:37:32 »

Here's mine - ok it's on a straight, but it has both front and rear anti-roll bars....untill tomorrow, when it gets it's 15 inch wheels/Avon tyres. Not sure on how this will have an impact on handling, but have an bank holiday to find out!!!

SB7019

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 22:58:33 »
James.   Where are you sourcing the wheels/tyres from as I'm thinking of making the same change?

duggan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 15:42:58 »
Hello Peter - the car has been over at DK Engineering (great garage), who sourced the wheels from Hawk / tyres from Avon