Author Topic: Steering issue  (Read 2945 times)

justnow

• View Profile
Steering issue
« on: August 15, 2015, 12:02:25 »
Driven my Ac Ace Bristol about  1500 km within about 8 days and some of it at the classic days at Castle Dyk. Now I have realized that the steering is less sharp than it used to be. She has now more play before the wheels start turning. I followed the steering structure and found out where the steering became more loose. At the very top of the car the steering triangle ( in lack of a better word) is linked the the chassis with a long bolt that does allow for movement  and here I can easily move the entire structure by me millimeter. I tried to tighten the bolt but it is pretty tight. As I could not find anything in my manuals my question is a. How much play is normal at this part of the steering or b. How can I reduce the play. As usual thank you very much in advance  Wilhelm

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Steering issue
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 13:54:53 »

Unfortunately AC Cars chose to fit a steering box instead of rack and pinion,  with 6 ball joints and steering centre link pivot, all in all  with these 7 points there will always be some play, which can only increase as one racks up the miles.
   When turning the steering wheel there should be no vertical movement at the central pivot point, strip and rebuild this area and majority of the play will be go, check the ball joints and play in the steering box and fit a stabiliser/Steering box steady bar (from the steering box to the front tower)  Please note LH & RH versions available from Classic Autos  TEL ;  0044 (0) 1923 262994. 10 high Street, Kings Langley, Hertfordshire WD4 8HB. England..[;)]

Nigel Winchester and AC Heritage should be able to supply  LH & RH steady bar and pivot point kits ready for fitting and reaming.

Arward & Michael Otto are closer (67294 Mauchenheim , Germany) and could well supply parts,  give them a call:-...
   Tel:  0049 6352 4508

Keith..[:)]

justnow

• View Profile
Steering issue
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 14:11:56 »
Great Keith and a big thank you for the information. Will give them a call on Monday. Just out of my garage again and there is no vertical play and the  ball joints have no play. It is definitely the steering centre link pivot and it has horizontal play! And when you move the steering wheel the first momentum will lift this to the top but no vertical play at all. Have a great weekend and again thank you very much. Wilhelm

SBB

• View Profile
Steering issue
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 10:31:40 »
Consider the Ben Yates/Tojeiro rack and pinion conversion which all original Tojeiros had.