Author Topic: Email Poster - Does it work?  (Read 10922 times)

ANF289

• View Profile
Email Poster - Does it work?
« on: May 08, 2009, 19:11:30 »
I've tried several times to send an e-mail message to another member and have never received a reply.  I do realize that there is that small possibility that they really don't like me, but I doubt (and I hope) that is not the real explanation.  Anyway, if this feature works, please tell me how.  If it doesn’t, can the Administrator fix it?
   Thanks!
   Art

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 19:38:28 »
Hi Art. You should have e-mail!
   Nik.

ANF289

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 21:13:04 »
quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

Hi Art. You should have e-mail!
   Nik.

Got it Nik.
   Now all I have to do is figure out what I was doing wrong.
   Thanks!
   Art

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 21:15:17 »
Some email providers automatically treat messages sent via the Forum server as spam.  We looked into it a year or so ago and unfortunately there's no simple way round it.  My recollection is that most providers are OK but one or two are intransigent.  I've deleted the email trail that dealt with it so can't be more specific.

ANF289

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 21:20:50 »
quote:
Originally posted by administrator

Some email providers automatically treat messages sent via the Forum server as spam.  We looked into it a year or so ago and unfortunately there's no simple way round it.  My recollection is that most providers are OK but one or two are intransigent.  I've deleted the email trail that dealt with it so can't be more specific.

Thanks.  I won't take the lack of a response personally now![:D]

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 21:21:38 »
Date: Friday, 8 May, 2009, 8:10 PM
   Hello nikbj68
   You received the following message from: ANF289
   Got you're e-mail... now let's see if you get mine...and thanks

Well, that all works then.
   I hope it`s not personal! [;)]
   More likely is that your recipient`s service is blocking/filtering the email as possible SPAM, so perhaps start a thread "Calling Member X" with a 'please email me' message.
   Nik.

[edit] Slow typing...overlapped with your & admin`s posts!

ANF289

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 21:27:38 »
Thank you all!
   Art

Aceca289

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 02:21:16 »
quote:
Originally posted by administrator

I am the one who had a thread of e-mails with the administrator regarding this issue about a year ago. Try going into your spam filter controls for your e-mail service and make adjustments. I have AOL and my settings have the “allow mail from all senders” checked as well as “deliver blocked mail to spam folder” (instead of delete blocked e-mail). Different e-mail providers may have different settings. I recall having to enter the custom settings section and enter the URL for the Forum in the “allow e-mail from” box. I believe the address you need allow is http://www.acownersclub.co.uk/forum/  last year it was racecar.co.uk…  I just checked the custom folder in my setting and saw that there were no addresses in the “allow mail from box”. I just tried sending myself an e-mail from the Forum – members section and it came through into my in basket (not the spam folder – go figure). So it works for AOL as long as you have your spam controls set up properly.

The problem is that the member you want to send a message may have to make these adjustments in his e-mail settings in order to receive e-mails from the Forum (members section). It is different from one e-mail service provider to another. Another member I know was unable to get it to work so that he could receive e-mails. I suggest members who want to be able to receive e-mails from other members (via the Forum) check their spam controls.

John
   AEX521