Author Topic: Aceca inspection help  (Read 3672 times)

Cargirl

• Exceptional Car Broker
    • View Profile
Aceca inspection help
« on: October 24, 2014, 16:08:50 »
I have an Aceca being inspected tomorrow but the inspector is not as familiar with Aceca's as the owners of these cars are.  I wanted to prepare a list of Aceca specific things to look for (Jerry I e-mailed you - were are you???)

This is the car:

http://s229.photobucket.com/user/classictag/slideshow/003%20Aceca%20interior%20and%20engine

Any help putting a list together would be greatly appreciated.  I will keep checking on the forum.  Please post on here as I think this information might be helpful to everyone..

Kelly

lew

• View Profile
Aceca inspection help
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 09:15:09 »
The car looks wonderful to me (apart from the front bumper of course)
   Does anyone out there know what aircon evaporator that is? It fits very compactly and I would like to fit an aircon to AE547 as it becomes rather warm in Africa!

Lew

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Aceca inspection help
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 13:13:16 »
Kelly.

Whether it is  AC,  Bristol or Ford powered, check the engine number, marries that on the chassis plate, The chassis number is also stamped on the door hinges, bonnet hinge and boot/tailgate.
   BEX798 mleft TD with Bristol engine number 100D21092.

Bristol engines when warm should show 60 psi at 3000rpm. when very cold oil pressure will be over 80psi , let engine warm up before driving, as you have best of 2 gallons of oil circulating which will take 4/5 miles to reach working temp.
   The diff on the Aceca is rubber mounted, if noisy then it could be wear in diff or possibly drive shafts, if new drive shafts fitted and not correct ones then they wear quicker, any knocking from rear indicates potential wear in splines / UJs and /or diff.

The Aceca has heavey  Ali skinned wooden framed doors which should fit with even shut lines as should the tail gate. check for body flex and check ali body work for poor repair and or body cracks.

Brakes should pull up square, on test drive get brakes warm, ideally take wheels off and check drums for broken cooling fins and if possible to investigate insde drum that they are not cracked.
   Alfin Drums available but are near £500 each. As BEX798 has discs one has only rear drums which only contribute to about20% of braking.

This Aceca should be light and responsive on the road especially as it has been converted to rack and pinion steering.  Rear wheel steering and nervious handling will indicate wear in rear suspension,  Also check for even tyre wear for correct alignment.

Sorry I can't be of more help as I drive a Ace which has basically same running gear but bodily it is simple where as the Aceca has multi tubes and plenty of timber which all need careful inspection. Especially at the rear and diff area.

Plus I am self taught and not a fully trained mechanic.....

Hopefully some of the above is helpful.
   Looks a v ery nicely presented and faithful Aceca.

If Ace / Aceca is really sound and numbers match.......Buy it and enjoy it, then share it to your kids who should become future custodians,  Once you have a AC they tend to stay with you  for years and become one of the family

Good Luck...........Keith..[;)]

Cargirl

• Exceptional Car Broker
    • View Profile
Aceca inspection help
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 17:44:54 »
Thanks everyone.  I am going to add these points to the list.  I will post the list after the inspection as I have some very good stuff that has been suggested by those in the know and sent to me by e-mail.  Thanks for the help.  Confident this will be a through inspection now.

Cargirl

• Exceptional Car Broker
    • View Profile
Aceca inspection help
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 17:57:03 »
quote:
Originally posted by lew

The car looks wonderful to me (apart from the front bumper of course)
   Does anyone out there know what aircon evaporator that is? It fits very compactly and I would like to fit an aircon to AE547 as it becomes rather warm in Africa!

Lew

Lew I have asked the guys doing the inspection to inquire about the  aircon evaporator.  The seller has kept every single receipt from the work done on the car so this info should be available.

lew

• View Profile
Aceca inspection help
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 08:47:35 »
Thanks very much,detailed pics would be most apreciated

Lew

Cargirl

• Exceptional Car Broker
    • View Profile
Aceca inspection help
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 21:48:31 »
Sorry it took so long.  This is the answer from the owner on the AC in his Aceca:

A/C that was installed is "Vintage Air", a well known brand, with a Sandon(SP) Compressor(all installed by Dick Guthrie of ATD).