Author Topic: MK 1V dashboard removal  (Read 2250 times)

nick Godridge

• View Profile
MK 1V dashboard removal
« on: October 03, 2012, 10:19:00 »
Hi everybody.
   The centre console style dashboard on my car appears to be held in place by a screw at each end, plus its screw attachments to the footwell inner side panels.
   I need to get at the wiring behind my temp.gauge and rev counter, so am tempted to remove it.
   My question is, who has done this, and if so does it go back as easily as it appears that it will come out??
   Thx
   Nick G

westcott

• View Profile
MK 1V dashboard removal
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 20:45:05 »
For a  easy handling remove the 2 knobs for air distribution and temperatur. Then remove the 2 visible nuts behind the knobs. Now remove the round covers, mark or take notes of the original position of the covers before removing.

The heater cables are very short and will limit the movement and handling of the dashboard if not disconnected. To avoid fiddling with the bended and clamped ends at the heater levers I remove the controls.

Don't forget to take care of the big washers sitting between the controls and their plastic covers. The same washers are sitting between controls and rear of dashboard.

Pull out the small bulbs sitting in the control axis to save them.

Remove  the leather covered trims in front of the left and right end of the dash, screwed up into the scuttle hoop and to the side frame underneath the carpet below the door hinges. Now the 2 screws of the dash are visible. Remove them.

Remove the 2 heater  covers from the inner foodwell and dashboard by removing the small screws.

Remove the 2 rivets or screws holding the clove box to the crossmember below the dash. It is a l-shaped bracket .

Remove te the 2 bigger screws at the left  and right lower end of the center console where it touches the tunnel.

Adjust the steering wheel to most rearward and down position or if needed remove the steering wheel and the hight adjuster to get the steering column in a lower then normal possible position.

Now you should be able to move the dashboard rearward a bit to loosen the speedometer cable from the speedo.
   Take care, the dash has to be moved to one side  most outward position before you move the opposite side of it rearwards because it is slightly wider then the distance between both vertical scuttle hoop stands.

Then remove the steering column switch covers and take care not to scrtch your dasboard leather at the L- shaped cover bracket located on top of the switches.

Now, after disconnection of all multi plugs behind the dash the complete thing should come out completely and easy.

Or:

Remove the heater sidepanel adjust the steering column as described and  fiddle with small hands between dadhboardvand heater to remove and install the instrument.

Try not to disconnect or bend  too much cables around the instrument, they are old and brittle easily.
   The new gauge will slip in easily with some small amount of silicon lube at the housing perimeter. The old one will sit a bit tight but come out if you jiggle it out.
   You can go the fast route but then you won't get experienced in the MK IV mysteries. [:D]

Uwe
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!

nick Godridge

• View Profile
MK 1V dashboard removal
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 16:47:04 »
Thank you v. much Uwe. fast method sounds tempting but unfortunately have large and lumpy hands with short stumpy fingers.
   So, I think your detailed instructions sound pretty good.
   Will have ago.
   Thx for replying.

Nick G