AC Owners Club Forum > Cobra (Thames Ditton) Forum

1964 289 COB EXPANSION TANK

(1/2) > >>

wirewheels57:
Hoping someone can help with the sourcing of an original or pattern expansion tank for my early 289?
Also the brakes have two brake reservoirs which I assume means the car has separate front and back brake systems was this standard?

rr64:

--- Quote from: wirewheels57 on June 08, 2023, 21:04:42 ---Hoping someone can help with the sourcing of an original or pattern expansion tank for my early 289?
Also the brakes have two brake reservoirs which I assume means the car has separate front and back brake systems was this standard?

--- End quote ---

Coolant expansion tank. Based on what few pictures I have of unrestored COB/COX60 prefix cars I believe your car probably used the same Ford-McCord design tank original street equipment for CSX2141-CSX2589 cars with standard 4V induction system. (In September 1963 a 2-4V Stage II option was added and a revised tank assembly was created for cars using 2-4V induction.) I do not have current contact information for him but I am told Dave Wagner (in USA) has reproduction 4V induction system car tanks made and others create dated assembly tags as required. Originals not in use are extremely rare. (The Cobra specific tank setup was based on similar tank designs used in various Ford and Studebaker sedans. The mounting arrangement was unique to Cobras and installers had to cut a clearance in one area of the mount bracket that interfered with a feature of the engine. Some installations on engines by Shelby American with optional COBRA POWERED BY FORD cast aluminum rocker arm covers required distance pieces between the tank mounting bracket and the left hand cylinder head to obtain clearance for the flange of the left side rocker arm cover. It was a car by car situation, some engines required spacers and some did not. It appears that the fit problem was due to a collection of part tolerance stack ups. The spacers used were bare carbon steel pieces that Ford never offered as a service part. Used parts can sometimes be salvaged from junk 1962 Fords with 221/260 engines. They were used in the Ford to space the remote fuel filter from the cylinder head. I have done drawings for the spacers in case somebody finds they need to make some.  (Anyone have current contact information for Dave Wagner? If not Nick Acton probably does https://www.actoncustom.com/.)

American market cars CSX2001-CSX2164 were manufactured with single hydraulic circuit brakes, one master cylinder and one reservoir. CSX2165-CSX2589 were built with double circuit brakes, a balance bar system between cylinders, two master cylinders, and two reservoirs. Your car sounds similar.

wirewheels57:
Hello RR64

Thankyou for the information I will try and contact the people you suggest . My Cobra is Cob 6005 The second right hand drive car produced by Ac which I believe was used as the factory demonstrator for some time . The car is very original generally but as is the way with Cobra's I suspect over heating issues lead to the radiator being replaced with a 427 unit and a non standard expansion tank being fitted .
 I attach a picture of what I believe is a standard engine bay for an early 289 and COB 6005 as it was before the present non original expansion tank was fitted ( not necessarily original ) . Do you have any thoughts on both pictures ?
Regarding  The twin brake reservoir system do you think the introduction ties in with the registration date for COB 6005 1/1/1964?
Hope the pictures are attached !!

rr64:

--- Quote from: wirewheels57 on June 09, 2023, 20:06:32 ---Hello RR64

Thankyou for the information I will try and contact the people you suggest . My Cobra is Cob 6005 The second right hand drive car produced by Ac which I believe was used as the factory demonstrator for some time . The car is very original generally but as is the way with Cobra's I suspect over heating issues lead to the radiator being replaced with a 427 unit and a non standard expansion tank being fitted .
 I attach a picture of what I believe is a standard engine bay for an early 289 and COB 6005 as it was before the present non original expansion tank was fitted ( not necessarily original ) . Do you have any thoughts on both pictures ?
Regarding  The twin brake reservoir system do you think the introduction ties in with the registration date for COB 6005 1/1/1964?
Hope the pictures are attached !!

--- End quote ---

You are welcome. I have seen reproductions of the Ford-McCord radiators but I do not know who makes them, perhaps  Nick Acton does.

I do not see any pictures. Sounds like a neat car.

The change to Ford-McCord radiators and expansion tanks occurred during mid 1963 and brake systems about two months later.

wirewheels57:
Good day rr64

I have contacted Dave Actons business and had a positive response straight away via Bonni. Let’s see how this develops but they definitely appear to be up to it, thank you .
To aid my endeavour it would be great to have some quality shots of the cooling set up on an original early 289 car including expansion tank, radiator and hoses. Do you have a suggestion where I might be able to acquire these.
The Car has a 1963 aluminium Gearbox which appears to be a race box, would this have been a standard part for a road going car. I understand that aluminium boxes were introduced at some time in development but were these “race “ boxes ?
Originally 6005 was fitted with an Armstrong selectaride damper control system, the control being mounted on the transmission cover . I suspect that this was unreliable. Do you think this was purely an option offered by AC cars for European/British cars.  I am not focused on originality, but it would be good to get information on this as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version