Author Topic: Starter Motor  (Read 3237 times)

jmohara

• Owner of AK1099
    • View Profile
Starter Motor
« on: January 09, 2017, 00:15:16 »
OK...so I seem to be hitting all the epic jobs on this restoration. Starter motor died yesterday. Direct wired it and its definitely dead.
   Then I found a trail that said you have to take the engine out to change - deep joy.
   Last resort - I am going to replace the exhaust manifolds with headers. Can you squeeze the starter out at the top with the manifolds removed?
   Anyone pulled that off?
   Thanks
   Michael

westcott

• View Profile
Starter Motor
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 09:58:22 »
Hi Michael, it is possible to change the starter without removing the engine.

Buy a compact starter not a full size
   The new starter will slip down between the right rear of the header and the stainless steel bulkhead cover. This is the way i did it after the engine was installed and the exhaust was in the car but i used PU engine mounts, they are a bit higher then the original rubber units.
   All the smog relevant relais and vacuumswitches were removed on my car making a bit more room behind the right manifold.
   The other way is removing the right engine mount and remove the big nut on the left one to get some possible movement for the complete engine.
   If the right mount is removed (with the engine supported by a crane or engine lifter) the engine can be lifted or lowered a bit to get the original full size starter out over the right main rail to the front passing the area were the right engine mount was or behind the right manifold .
   Please cover the stainless steel by something to avoid scratches.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!

jmohara

• Owner of AK1099
    • View Profile
Starter Motor
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 13:26:31 »
Thanks Uwe.
   So if I have no headers in place at the moment, can the old starter come through that space without removing the engine mount?
   M

westcott

• View Profile
Starter Motor
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 07:30:33 »
I was able to slip the starter down at the right and the most rearward position, but it was a smaller HP starter, not the full size oem part.
   Just try it and take care not to scratch the stainless bulkhead cover. Can't remember if the starter slipped down with the flange side first or the opposite side.
   If the smog tube is connected to the rear of the heads you could be in trouble, mine is removed and the smog legal AFR heads are plugged.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!

jmohara

• Owner of AK1099
    • View Profile
Starter Motor
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 09:29:17 »
Smog stuff is all gone. I am on it :-)

jmohara

• Owner of AK1099
    • View Profile
Starter Motor
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 20:17:28 »
Just to answer my own question if anyone else needs the answer - removed the manifolds and got the starter out no issues through the top.