Author Topic: License tags?  (Read 5545 times)

AC Bill

• View Profile
License tags?
« on: October 12, 2010, 15:53:32 »
Curious about the license tag system in GB, and the UK.

When a vehicle is initially registered for the road and is assigned a plate number, does that plate number then stay with the vehicle for life, regardless of transfer of ownership?

I ask this as I noticed in pictures of an AC Ace, that it has the same plate number currently, as it did back in the early sixties.
   IF this is in fact the case, are new plates issued from time to time, even though they are the same number? I ask this, as I also noticed on the pictures, that the actual shape of the plate has changed slightly.

It may well be that the current plate on the car, is actually a replica vintage plate that the owner had custom made, using the original plate numbers the car was issued with back in the day.

Just curious..thanks

nikbj68

• View Profile
License tags?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 18:31:59 »
GB & UK are the same thing, basically.[;)]

Since 1963, vehicles are registered with an age-related number, the format of which has changed several times.
   `63-`83: ABC 123A (where the last letter changes by the year)
   `83-`01: A123 ABC (where the first letter changes by the year)
   `01-`09: AB51 ABC (where the numbers change by the 1/2year...
   `10- on: AB60 ABC          ...it`s complicated!)
   HOWEVER, it is possible to purchase or transfer registration numbers(described as 'cherished' or 'personalised') providing they don`t make a vehicle appear younger than it is.
   So if you wanted "COB 12A" for your `64 onwards Cobra, you could have bought it. However, if you had a `62 Cobra, you couldn`t!
   There is a lot more to it than that, but I hope you get the idea.

Replacement plates are purchased, rather than issued, as the DVLA ony tell you the number to use, and it`s usually up to the dealer who first registers the vehicle to fit the actual number plates, or the owner, should they be damaged etc...)
   Click this DVLA link for more info, should you not be bored to tears already! [:(]

AC Bill

• View Profile
License tags?
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 19:42:07 »
Well I'll be! Thanks for the info.

That is a complicated system, if I ever heard of one.

Here, the plate number has no bearing on the year of the car, which makes it very simple. The plate # will change only if and when the vehicle changes ownership, otherwise it remains the same as when first issued.

Prior to around hmm.. 1973 perhaps, in BC there was a completely new plate and number issued almost every year. Each year the plates, and numbers also had a different colour. Note- The odd year they supplied a coloured metal strip that would show the new year. This was applied over the previous year.
   This way the police could take a quick glance at a plate and see if the vehicle was currently insured. (Liability insurance is mandatory here) This was quite expensive to do, as you can imagine, so they switched over to the decal system.

In 1986 partly to celebrate EXPO 86, the province of BC issued new plates to all vehicles, when ones insurance was being renewed. These newer plates were made of alluminum, so rusting was no longer an issue, as well the paint had a reflective quality unlike the earlier ones. At night they could be seen at a greater distance, probably for the sake of the police..This exact same style and color of plate is still issued today when getting new plates.
    A small colored decal is issued each year the car is insured for the road, that is applied over the previous years decal. (rear plate only) The decal color varies every year, so the police can tell at a glance, if a vehicle is currently insured.
   My truck plate has had so many new decals applied to it for so many years the decal thickness is almost a 1/2" thick..[:D]

NOTE- for a brief time in celebration of the 2010 Olympics held in BC, a special 2010 Olympic plate was available for use. This was available for an initial price, as well as an additional annual usage fee. It was not that popular.
   There is also now a "Veterans" plate available for Veterans of the Canadian Armed Forces only. I don't believe there is any extra cost for this plate.

A little history of our Provinces plates,,if anyones interested. NOTE- Some of the earlier plates issued are very rare, and worth a significant amount of money to plate collectors..

http://www.canplates.com/bc.html

TLegate

• View Profile
License tags?
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 12:05:21 »
Although in the real world, a gentleman always leaves his chauffeur to worry about such inconsequential matters.....

nikbj68

• View Profile
License tags?
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 13:27:24 »
quote:
Originally posted by AC Bill: Well I'll be! Thanks for the info...NOTE- Some of the earlier plates issued are very rare, and worth a significant amount of money to plate collectors...

How much do you consider significant?
   Look at the number below, have a guess at how much this young businessman paid for it in June, 2009, then click the pic for the story. You will be wrong!!!(£1 = C$1.60)

AC Bill

• View Profile
License tags?
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 20:36:14 »
I don't understand the significance of that plate number, in that this fellow would pay such a huge amount for it?? What does  "7T" represent in England?

Was the same plate number of one that John Lennon, or perhaps somebody famous, had on thier vehicle?

I just don't get it..

AC Bill

• View Profile
License tags?
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 21:00:54 »
quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

GB & UK are the same thing, basically.[;)]

Intrigued, as I wasn't sure why there seem to be different names for it, but I did a little research and this is what I learned..huh..

-Great Britain = the island of Britannia (England, Wales and Scotland)
   -UK = United Kingdom, is all the above, but also includes Northern Ireland.
   -Full common title used today is "United Kingdom of Great Britain"

I was surprised to see that there was a land border crossing was between The Republic of Ireland, and Northern Ireland..What's with that? Do they actually make you stop and show your passport?

nikbj68

• View Profile
License tags?
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 11:33:53 »
quote:
Originally posted by AC Bill...I was surprised to see that there was a land border crossing was between The Republic of Ireland, and Northern Ireland..What's with that? Do they actually make you stop and show your passport?

They don`t have passport control, but The Republic (Southern Ireland, or in gaelic Eire) uses the € Euro as currency rather than Northern Ireland using the British £.
   There is also the Catholic/Protestant divide... but these are not really matters for this forum!

As for the significance of '7 T'... no, I don`t get it either. It`s just a very, very early issued number.

I could purchase N10KBJ for £250, should I so desire...[;)]

cobham cobra

• View Profile
License tags?
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 15:54:22 »
Maybe it relates to the 70mph speed limit in the UK ?
   7 ACO.
   [;)]

nikbj68

• View Profile
License tags?
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 16:03:33 »
quote:
Originally posted by cobham cobra: Maybe it relates to the 70mph speed limit in the UK ? 7 ACO. [;)]

Yes, well, some registrations look better seen than read!

Notice in the background, Keith was able to acquire the registration to match his chassis number.... Very Cool! [8D]

cobham cobra

• View Profile
License tags?
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 18:14:54 »
Hi Nik,
   Well it certainly works well in a particular part of France. Could be something to do with The Automobile Club de l'Ouest (ACO) and  the Circuit de la Sarthe.

I did look at one of the DVLA auctions years ago and they had 38 AC up for sale, but when the bidding opened at £16,000 I very quickly lost interest.

nikbj68

• View Profile
License tags?
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 20:29:40 »
I doubt anything that consumes petrol works very well in any part of France at the moment![}:)]

Well, COB 22A and 5 CSX are coming up for sale at the next DVLA Auction, 7 CSX sold earlier this month for £1900!
   You could also have 89 AC,   AC,H 1S,    56 JN,   or for the Brooklands owner, maybe F457 ACE!

I`m still waiting for B465HAW to hit the sales, and my dad recently bought J111 BAG for his wife, Jill. Laughs every time he looks at it! Maybe I should get him G45 BAG!

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
License tags?
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 00:27:41 »
Nik

For shear one up manship, next time you travel along Chelsea Embankment, check out the two cars usually parked on the forecourt of a rather tasteful Townhouse.

2B    and   NOT2B

All very theatrical !!

Keith

PS ..... I like the B&W photo of 7 AC O with  BEX333 in the background.  as you say....very cool...[;)]

Something about Black AC's .they just look so COOL !!

1984MkIV

• View Profile
License tags?
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 09:30:42 »
quote:
Originally posted by AC Bill
   My truck plate has had so many new decals applied to it for so many years the decal thickness is almost a 1/2" thick..[:D]

No further comment

cobham cobra

• View Profile
License tags?
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 10:39:37 »
Hi Keith,
   I think the numbers on Chelsea embankment are 2 BE and NOT 2 BE. They are usually on a Rolls and an Aston and given that a certain Mr. Ecclestone lives there I think we can guess what Bernie drives.

Some people have more money than sense though
    http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23434210-businessman-pays-a-record-375000-for-f1-number-plate.do

BTW – nice photo of the cream/white Cobra. I was thinking, does it look better with its patina and would it be less interesting if it was clean and polished ?......would look better in black though [;)]