Author Topic: Tremec TKO transmission  (Read 3909 times)

Superarnie Mk2

• View Profile
Tremec TKO transmission
« on: January 12, 2014, 19:41:55 »
Dear all.

Can anyone tell me if they have fitted a TKO 500/600 gearbox to their Mk4, Superblower or CRS - in place of the factory fitted T5?

The TKO rear mount is 1 inch further back than the T5's and the base of the mount is 1/2 an inch closer (shorter)to the gearbox centreline (longitudinally), so I would presume the gearbox mount/cross,member would need to be adapted/shimmed?

I am at the point of purchasing a TKO for my Superblower build. Our cars have a cross member/brace already welded into the chassis to support the gearbox. Can anyone tell me if I require a seperate cross member or will the box bolt directly to it? If there is a cross member which bolts to the bottom of the box, which then bolts to the chassis, can anyone tell me where the cross member is sourced from - is there a manufacturers part number stamped on it for example?

Any images would be a great help.

Many thanks in anticipation of your help.

Gary

Mark IV

• View Profile
Tremec TKO transmission
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 20:14:55 »
We have directly replaced a T5 with a TKO600 in a Superformance car with only adjustments, however the crossmember on that has an adjustable plate.

The transmission mount is a common USA Ford part D0ZZ 6068 D and is used on most all 60's Mustangs, etc. with auto or manual box. We can supply if needed.

I would suspect the crossmember on a MK IV/Superblower/CRS could be "notched" to allow the extra inch without any real loss of structure. The tube is of sufficient diameter to carry the load w=even if half of it is removed so long as the open cut is welded closed with some plate.

Superarnie Mk2

• View Profile
Tremec TKO transmission
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 20:56:51 »
Hi Mark 1V.

Thanks for the information and the offer to send me a transmission mount- I will be in touch if I cant source one from over here - thank you.

I have been speaking with Thunder Road Speedshop today. They told me there is a rubber type mounting plate which fits to the rear transmission mounting point, and that plate is then attached directly to the chassis cross member. Although they have not fitted a TKO to one of these cars, in theory and with a bit of packing/spacing for correct alignment, the TKO 'should' be alright.

I have also discovered today that two chassis cross member sections under the car and close to the gearbox mount, are in fact removable- I thought they were welded! One of them is rectangular box section the other is circular in section and the handbrake fits to it. You learn something new every day!! Thanks Peter De-R-H for that info!

wenzeh

• View Profile
Tremec TKO transmission
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 12:02:38 »
Gary, I did this conversion last summer with a new Keith Craft engine.  I had to open up the tunnel on the top as the gearbox was bigger then my T10.  Due to that fact had to build new, higher tunnel as well.  (opening for the gear lever was also on different position)  Even so I could use the old frame fixation point, I had to weld new bracket to fix with the standard rubber mount, but was very tight fit to the frame and gearbox itself.   Can send you some pics if you like.
   Heinz

Superarnie Mk2

• View Profile
Tremec TKO transmission
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 20:07:41 »
Hello Heinz, thanks for your contribution to this thread and your offer to send pictures of your conversion.

I have been giving some thought to fitting a TKO gearbox and I was pretty settled on the TKO 600. However due to the issues you had to deal with and information from other contributors to this c lub, I'm thinking twice!!

I would like to fit a T5 which I understand was the standard box in the Superblower, however my planned Ford 5.0 engine will be performance enhanced from stock and will be quite a bit more powerful. I worried the T5 may not be up to the job, hence the reason for looking at the TKO's. However I then saw this:

https://www.gforcetransmissions.com/tran_gt-5.asp

It's a T5 with much stronger internals - also they do a T5 with a much stronger casing.

The beuaty of this is that I will not need to make any modifications to the trans tunnel or support cross member.

Has anyone heard anything good or bad about G-Force??

Superarnie Mk2

• View Profile
Tremec TKO transmission
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 23:23:34 »
I have also found another company named Astro Performance Transmissions. They make a beefed up T5 trasmission which they refer to as the A5. Here's the link.

http://www.astroperformance.com/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/29/products_id/866

From what I've read on a number of forums it seems the A5 gets more favourable reviews than the G-Force product. I've read the A5 gears are much beefier!

Anyone heard good or bad about the A5??

wenzeh

• View Profile
Tremec TKO transmission
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 07:16:33 »
That Astro gearbox looks also beefy at the top without knowing a T5 for comparison - which might could cause same clearance problems as with TKO 600?  I would compare drawings - the TKO 600 drawing you can get from the web.  I did some upfront studies using the drawing to locate potential issues with frame and tunnel.  As said, I had around 2,5 to 3 cm of clearance to add, but nicely nothing to do on the frame.  As my new engine has produced 767 Nm torque on the dyno, I had to think about the gear box replacing my T10 side loader.  In addition the gear ratios with the 5th gear at 0.64 (0.82 as second option) make the car now extremely enjoyable and drivable.  This wasn't the case with the old T10 before, in addition fuel consumption dropped significantly at almost double hp!  I can highly recommend a cruse (overdrive) gear gear a strong engine!

Superarnie Mk2

• View Profile
Tremec TKO transmission
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 20:19:30 »
Heinz, I don't think Astro use any different casing than the stock T5 piece. From what I understand they strengthen internally the rear leg to prevent flexing which apparently can occur in 3rd gear?? but as far as I can determine, the casing is a stock item. This differs from the G-Force piece because they build their own strengthened casing.