Author Topic: MKIV Driveshaft Yokes & Crosses  (Read 2011 times)

Kiwi Cobra

• View Profile
MKIV Driveshaft Yokes & Crosses
« on: July 06, 2011, 07:43:31 »
Hi All,

I have just failed a vehicle inspection (road worthy certificate) on my '88 MKIV because of worn and slightly loose universal crosses. On removal and inspection, the holes in the yokes are worn and the cups are slightly loose in the bore. Short term I will get away with replacing the crosses and loctiting the cups in place to keep the car mobile, however I need to replace the yokes to effect a proper repair. Can anyone help with whether these items are as per the '88 Mustang please?, or what part numbers or descriptions belong to them?. Thanks in anticipation. Steve.

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 09:36:20 »
Hi Steve,

are you sure that the yokes must be replaced and not the universal joints? I never heard that the cups in the yokes are loose. Do you have the car for a quite long time or is it possible that someone else has replaced the universal joints and took the wrong one? I replaced mine and used those from a Jag. Pressing them out I crashed my bench vice.

By the way the lengthwise cogging of the driveshafts are a little bit weakly dimensioned. I replaced the complete drive shafts.

Regards, Peter

Kiwi Cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 10:52:35 »
Hi Peter, I believe the yokes are original and they are definately slightly oval. I assume the "lengthwise cogging" you speak of is the gearbox end spline?. Certainly if I could replace the whole unit, I will. The Jag parts you used, were they just the crosses or were they the yokes too?. I guess I need to find a compatible gearbox output shaft U/J for a start.