Author Topic: AC Ace Grab Handle  (Read 3302 times)

James Eastwood

• View Profile
AC Ace Grab Handle
« on: August 31, 2017, 12:33:53 »
I took my Ace to it's first ACOC outing for many years since my father last used the car. I met Andy Shepard and Keith Lessiter (again), plus Pater Jaye, Brian Horwood and John Goose. Many thanks for words of encouragement for my owner-restorer on-going renovation.

One thing I'd like advice for (or a part from some one!) is the Grab Handle. I presume mine was dispensed with at some point in it's racing career, I have just the holes in the body.

I have found that 'Ashwater' classic car parts make them although I need to order one later this year.

Is there a club stock or another AC supplier I could try or does indeed some one have perfectly patina'd 2nd hand part I could purchase?

Plus might some one be able to advise on the correct fixing hardware, are the bolts self tappers or threaded bolts which go through into something? And who might supply?

Many thanks,

James Eastwood, 200GPD, BE475.

Jim A

• View Profile
AC Ace Grab Handle
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 18:38:59 »
Just don't let anybody use it.  Something will bend!

• View Profile
AC Ace Grab Handle
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 23:21:13 »
If you still need a grab handle i have one that has never been fitted.
   Rregards Bill

nikbj68

• View Profile
AC Ace Grab Handle
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 21:19:36 »
Gerry Hawkridge also has a few NOS Cobra items, assuming that they are the same as an Ace handle?

rsk289

• View Profile
AC Ace Grab Handle
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 00:09:00 »
If it is the same as the Cobra, you will need 2BA raised countersunk slotted head chrome-plated screws with nuts; the holes should go through the aluminium dash and the steel tube behind.

http://www.custom-fasteners.co.uk/2ba-raised-countersunk-instrument-head-slotted-screw-c2x14722919

As they say on the telly, other suppliers are available.  Can't remember the length needed, if this all makes sense and you are still stuck I can take measurements.

Roger

James Eastwood

• View Profile
AC Ace Grab Handle
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 17:37:20 »
Bill - I emailed Ashwater but they didn't come back to me, so yes, I'm still looking for one. Is it worth checking yours is the correct part? I can supply photos if you need.

Roger - very helpful indeed. Always better to get the right hardware. Can I assume that all the smaller nuts and bolts around the Ace will be BA type?

(There's quite a range of thread types on these vehicles that I'm getting to grips with, like Whitworth and the inimitable British Cycle Fine to name two!)

James Eastwood, BE475