Author Topic: Stuck in first gear!!  (Read 2941 times)

GSouthee

• Climate warming bring it on, save heating.
    • View Profile
Stuck in first gear!!
« on: August 01, 2016, 19:19:02 »
Hi ya now a problem to solve, just gone to pull out of garage and slipped into first and now cant get it back out of first. Been out in her today with no problems.

Poss stuck selector?  any ideas?

Cheers  Gary
A car is only original once, but, you can modify it as many times as you like.

My car my rules.

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
Stuck in first gear!!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 20:46:14 »
This is a fairly common problem with Moss gearboxes. Check out the following link for more info & remedies to stop it reoccurring.

http://www.jag-lovers.org/xk-lovers/library/gearbox_reilly/gearbox_reilly.html

Regards Luke.

GSouthee

• View Profile
Stuck in first gear!!
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 20:59:33 »
Cheers for that looks like a long read and deep understanding. I do have a spare box as well just in case I cant get anywhere. It has been suggested to try to push the backwards whilst in first gear (obviously not with engine running as that could be a bit dangerous and tiresome) as this may relieve the pressure on the lever.  Looks Like I'll be playing with gearbox tomorrow. Especially as I am supposed to do my daughters wedding on Sat.  Hey ho.

Cheers  Gary

My car my rules.

GSouthee

• View Profile
Stuck in first gear!!
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 18:00:58 »
Well looks like the gearbox needs come out, just can't get it out of first. So far got the tunnel out and seats out, then get to it tomorrow.

Cheers

My car my rules.

GSouthee

• View Profile
Stuck in first gear!!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 18:07:00 »
Hi So went down garage and had a rummage in my big box of spares and found a spare gear leaver and selector block.

I thought that before I take out box for the spare, maybe a good idea to have a looksee in the top, managed to get the lever off and the selector block with it (eventually) as being stuck in first meant that the lever was tight up to the shelf and bottom of dash, managed to wiggle lever round once the securing bolts removed and squeeze it past the dash (scraped knuckles and bashed myself in the head pulling it). The actual thingy the selector forks fit moved back into neutral very easily so hopefully not the box itself (touch wood, cross fingers, rub a pixie(not sure if that is legal)).

Anyway had a look at both the spare all nicely wrapped up in greased paper and the current one it seems that the current one was moving the selector to far forward compared to the spare, the spare was also easier to slip back and fore, maybe it was just worn out. Gave the spare a quick lube, very smooth movement, cut a new gasket, stick it back on, 3  securing bolts on the selector block and gave it a try, blimey all good, much smoother movement, easier to select reverse, all good. The old one must have been worse than I realised, sometimes you just don't notice the deterioration over time. So bolt it all up, tunnel and carpets back in. Test drive (as they say in East Enders  'Sorted') much smoother selecting gears.

Upward and onward my daughter will be taken to her wedding in the 'Ol Girl after all(she would looked bloody silly hitch hiking there).

Cheers all those who came up with ideas.

G

My car my rules.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Stuck in first gear!!
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 20:42:45 »

Result !!

Test drive, Now Test Drive again.....

Shoulders Down,  have a drink.

Booted , Suited  grey cap and take your daughter to the Church...[;)]

Best Wishes to the Bride & Groom

Keith

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Stuck in first gear!!
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 20:45:09 »
quote:
Originally posted by AC Ace Bristol

Result !!

Test drive, Now Test Drive again.....

Shoulders Down,  have a drink. Check everything one more time and clean all grease and paw prints.

Booted , Suited & grey cap Now take your daughter to the Church...[;)]

Best Wishes to the Bride & Groom[/..[:)]

Keith

GSouthee

• View Profile
Stuck in first gear!!
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 13:19:22 »
Cheers  Keith

Yep all cleaned up, hovered her out as well, surprising how much dust/grit gets under them mats.

Just had a run down to Hastings and back 40 miles, all good. Been to pickup some paint mixed to match the body colour as I am going to change the colour of the bottom half of the doors to match the rest of the main body, they have done a great job of mixing it and luckily there is only one point at the front of the doors to the top near the bonnet where any difference would should so all good there.

What I have noticed is that it must be an earlier selector block as now no longer have to heave the levet up to get reverse just push against a slightly stiffer spring, but must be careful not to select wrong gear as may need more paint[:D].

And its a navy blue suit and a red hat.

Cheers  G

My car my rules.