Author Topic: Heater for Mk IV  (Read 3227 times)

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
Heater for Mk IV
« on: March 01, 2007, 09:22:58 »
The heater fan on my 1993 MkIV (AKL1417) with T shaped dash requires replacement, it sounds like it is broken.
   I had already replaced the complete unit (base plate, motor and fan) some 3 years ago, sourced from AC. The fan piece is a cylindrical device of molded platic, fixed on one side only to the axle of the motor, and the plastic is not any stronger at this central point, so that with intensive use of the heater the fan breaks away at this central fixing point.
   Can anybody tell me where to source such heater fan or the complete unit (base plate, motor and fan). Maybe there exists an altenative fan cylinder in stronger material?
   Or maybe there is a better replacement option that someone has tried out successfully.

Thanks
   Constant

nikbj68

• View Profile
Heater for Mk IV
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 13:25:53 »
Have you tried contacting KL directly?
   They don`t appear to have a website, but their current address is:
   KL Automotive Products Ltd
   Denby Works
   Marehay
   Ripley
   Derbyshire
   DE5 8JH
   Tel:(UK) 01773 740255
   Tel:(EU)441773 740255

jbottini

• View Profile
Heater for Mk IV
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 19:51:45 »
Have you checked to ensure you haven't inhaled some bit of foreign matter through demister vent?

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
Heater for Mk IV
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 10:35:47 »
thanks Nik and James,

I'll keep you/others posted with results of my contacts to KL. Got their email address and waiting news.
   Regards
   Constant

Malta

• View Profile
Heater for Mk IV
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 11:38:43 »
Dear Constant,

Just a bit of info. KL make the heaters to special order they are not off the shelf standard units.

The last batch from KL we received had many modifications over the original units as used on the MKIV, the main one being the heater fan blower. They use a new fan unit from Italy. I have ordered some for the MKV as we will be making the heater unit ourselves in future.

The new fan unit  should be interchangeable with the old unit.

I should have some within a couple of weeks,

Regards

John Owen[8D]

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
Heater for Mk IV
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 09:30:22 »
Hello John,
   Thanks for your complement of information. I also received feedback yesterday from KL to my e-mail enquiry. They confirm that they still make these blower assemblies, on identical base plate, but with a new blower. Lead time 3-4 weeks.
   I could send you my old assembly (the oringinal from 1993 as shown on the pics) for you to change the blower and electrical connections.
   Maybe we can discuss this by e-mail.

Thanks and regards
   Constant
   c.wagner@energolux.lu

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
Heater for Mk IV
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 11:22:45 »
Having secured a new blower assembly directly from KL Automotive, I managed to replace the old unit by the new! Heat is back in the cockpit!
   KL's new blower sourced in Italy, is mounted on the exactly same plate as on the old, so it fits exactly. The new blower differs from the old in the fact that the blower's electrical motor is mounted coaxially inside the fan housing, the fan now being located by one bearing on each side. The fan housing is of the same dimensions as on the old blower.
   All works fine now for my next trip to the International in Sweden :-)