Author Topic: AC Cobra in Germany: Real or replica...?  (Read 7068 times)

SunDude

• View Profile
AC Cobra in Germany: Real or replica...?
« on: July 09, 2013, 14:43:14 »
Does anyone recognize this Cobra?  Is it an original or a replica?  Any chance it could be CSX2238?

These photos were taken at the Regensburger Classic Rallye in July 2009, and are posted to Flickr and to Wikimedia Commons (which is how I found them).

Thanks.

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 16:47:45 »
Don't know whether this is the real CSX 2238. But on page 190 "COBRA: The story of an icon" you can see CSX 2238. Looks totally different from your picture [:)]

Migge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 18:40:33 »
The rims don't look right, I can see a nut on the front wheel

westcott

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 19:20:56 »
I was there the same year with my old Crendon and couldn'd see any real cobra.

The wheels on this car are replica Halibrands with screwed rims, may be Compomotive or  Image Wheels.

The car could be a Hawk or ERA and was one of the org team cars.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!

SunDude

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 21:08:36 »
quote:
Originally posted by dkp_cobra

Don't know whether this is the real CSX 2238. But on page 190 "COBRA: The story of an icon" you can see CSX 2238. Looks totally different from your picture [:)]

You mean, this photo of CSX2238...?

quote:
Originally posted by westcott

I was there the same year with my old Crendon and couldn'd see any real cobra.

The wheels on this car are replica Halibrands with screwed rims, may be Compomotive or  Image Wheels.

The car could be a Hawk or ERA and was one of the org team cars.

Thanks for this.  It's confusing when they allow replicas into vintage motorsports events.

westcott

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 22:35:29 »
As long as they are registered as 30 year old cars.....
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!

aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 20:38:53 »
quote:
Originally posted by SunDude

Thanks for this.  It's confusing when they allow replicas into vintage motorsports events.

Brian , you know aswell as the rest of us do there are plenty of replicas racing in historic motorsports, it is quite simple the original wrecked car sits in a garage while a new one is built, you then produce the paperwork for the original car then get FIA paperwork for the replica as is has been built to FIA standards.

rstainer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 13:16:13 »
Aaron, Brian,

The 'original wrecked car sits in a garage' is the exception.

The Register appendix listing Replica leaf-spring cobras has twelve FIA HTPd replicas where there are no remains of the original. The appendix, on the ACOC website available to all members, makes interesting reading!

RS

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 14:41:38 »
To call the Regensburger Classic Rallye a Vintage Motorsports event is a bit of a push!

As good as they are, you could not have a Hawk getting an FiA HTP, never mind some less authentically engineered 'replicas'(which could more accurately be called lookalikes or evocations or caricatures in some cases!), even the 'stock' Kirkhams wouldn`t pass muster.
   The replicas we see racing today are purpose-built and (to a greater or lesser degree!) are identical to original Cobras currently racing.
   It hurts to see 2238 in the state shown above!

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 16:03:39 »
As 2238 testifies, Americans own guns and like to use them. Not all of them like Cobras....

rstainer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 17:18:09 »
Nick,

To say that FIA HTP replicas are 'authentically engineered' defies observation: it is simply not possible for them to be as fast as they are without very inauthentic engineering.

One FIA 'historic' cobra considered recently that appears in many prestigious events is 114kg lighter than its original FIA counterpart; this addition of lightness relies on techniques unheard of fifty years ago.

RS

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 18:37:00 »
quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

The replicas we see racing today are purpose-built and (to a greater or lesser degree!) are identical to original Cobras currently racing.

Nick, Don't you think that many of the "original Cobras currently racing" are highly modified from their period racing configuration? [;)]

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 21:21:45 »
Agreed on both counts, Gentlemen. I was trying to differentiate between the replicas one would expect your 'man in the street' to own, which could never attain an HTP, and those which we see on track. The issue you mention, Robin, are another matter!
   The Hawk cars are to my eye some of the most accurate looking(and I don`t think the car at the heart of this thread is one), and when I said "less authentically engineered " I refer to cars of various manufacturers which bear less & less resemblance to the Cobra, beit in body shape, chassis design or interior styling, which really strain the true definition of the word replica beyond it`s limits!

Laurence Kent

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 06:18:27 »
Getting back to the original question as to whether what we see in the picture is the real thing or not, I must say I am surprised that besides the wheels being a giveaway, no one noticed that the doors only have two holes for side curtains. All five original FIA AC Cobras had three, and I don't know of any original Mk II or II that only had two! Furthermore, the shape of the car in the back looks like a MK III 427, as though whoever made the mould, took the back of a 427 and then grafted the protrusions and tried to make the car look like some sort of FIA Mk II.

aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2013, 21:33:05 »
I WILL NOT GET INTO THIS DEBATE ,WHOS ROUND IS IT ? I WILL HAVE A BOTTLE OF COBRA LAGER AND MAKE IT A LARGE ONE ! [:)]