Author Topic: BEX 402 Final Prep For Road  (Read 6622 times)

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
BEX 402 Final Prep For Road
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 00:34:49 »
quote:
Originally posted by aex125

Gary,
   Another picture from Keith I forgot to post with the other one. This shows the long footbox on a LHD Ace Bristol.
   Jay

Jay

Many thanks for Posting  the pictures of AE75 and long foot box (BEX333)on my behalf....    Promise I will learn how to post on Forum for 2009.

When I will post a Quizz for all AC , Ace & Historic racing fans too try and ID some couple of Dozen Period photos of various unidentified racing Aces....  maybe A Christmas /New Year International ACOC Quizz   ?? All answers required to compliment accurate records on the Official ACOC Ace Registers of Tony Bancroft & Tim Isles.

Keith

GaryC

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 06:15:30 »
Great pictures and ideas.  Thanks for posting and the oil/break-in info.  Does anyone know how much longer the later footboxes are??  Its sort of hard to tell from the pic but it looks 3-4".  GC

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 16:22:50 »
quote:
Originally posted by aex125

Gary,
   Another picture from Keith I forgot to post with the other one. This shows the long footbox on a LHD Ace Bristol.
   Jay

GaryC

BEX333 (August 1957)  has longer foot box fitted to drivers side.

Measurement from Bulkhead to front leading edge   ... approx 400mm.

Measurement of passenger footbox   ...   ... ...  ... approx 280mm.

difference on my Ace ...   approx  120mm  (4.5  to 4.75 inches) measurements only approx as I've assumend being hand made they are bound to vary by the odd mm or two.

I believe it was only the top of the footbox that was extended, as
   the Clutch and Brake Master Cylinders on the front of the pedal box are already very close to the battery tray on LHD Aces. (Could be extended by relocating Battery to the Boot ( Trunk ).

Not sure of the dimensions of respective footboxes on RHD Aces or 2.6 Aces as the top and leading edge would be dictated by there engine and manifolding. ( Please note, I removed the top inner corner to facilitate easier access to the rearmost manifold  stud/ nut).

Hope the above  usefull and helps answer your questions Gary. Maybe one or two others can confirm dimensions of RHD variants.

Keith

GaryC

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2008, 04:40:09 »
This club is such a great source of help.  Thanks again.  Latest news....I took another look underneath and noticed what looked like a factory plate 5"x 3/8" flat steel running on either side of the left chassis tube across the rear of the left cockpit.  There were four holes with welded nuts on the bottom on each side.  Mystery solved....roll bar mounts for a hoop that attached to the floor behind the seat with a center brace to the welded support in the trunk (I know there's a proper English term!).  The front mods must have been for towing or for a "hook" to be pulled off track.  Any mention of BEX402 in any of the Ace racing books or stories??

Also, I do have the longer footbox on the left side and the back face slopes inward towards the bottom.  Looks like the other options might be the only way to squeeze in.  Cheers, Gary