Author Topic: walnut burl panels dash original finish. Just oil treated or lacquered?  (Read 786 times)

SpqrEddie

• View Profile
Hello!
anybody knows if the original walnut burl panel dahses were just treated and polished with some oils, or if they were lacquered?
how the should be maintained?
Teak oil would do the job?

Thanks!

nicksonsticks

• View Profile
Hi Eddie,  sorry I havent got a definitive answer for you, but judging by the condition of mine (1960 Aceca Bristol) I am sure they had been veneered and laqured, whether the laquer was there fom new or had been done at a later date I couldn't say.
I had to make a couple of replacements so I went for the option of re veneering and laquering and I'm so pleased with the result, they're not even in the car yet and in my eyes they are  beautiful! So for me I would probably make the same choice again even if armed with other info....
Not sure if this helps at all but I'm finding out that they're all slightly different, so my thinking now is that I should do the resarch to try to get the right info and where there is no definitive answer I just do what makes me the happiest keeping in mind what was available in period.
All best wishes Nick

nicksonsticks

• View Profile
Photo attached

nicksonsticks

• View Profile
1st photo showed the veneer and second showing the laquered finish.

SpqrEddie

• View Profile
Hi Eddie,  sorry I havent got a definitive answer for you, but judging by the condition of mine (1960 Aceca Bristol) I am sure they had been veneered and laqured, whether the laquer was there fom new or had been done at a later date I couldn't say.
I had to make a couple of replacements so I went for the option of re veneering and laquering and I'm so pleased with the result, they're not even in the car yet and in my eyes they are  beautiful! So for me I would probably make the same choice again even if armed with other info....
Not sure if this helps at all but I'm finding out that they're all slightly different, so my thinking now is that I should do the resarch to try to get the right info and where there is no definitive answer I just do what makes me the happiest keeping in mind what was available in period.
All best wishes Nick

Thank you! Nick, yours look beautiful!!
Thanks for sharing,
on the one i was working there were some cracks and the walnut sheet, came apart from the rest of the plywood lyers. So i had it reglued, but the luthier who helped me with that finished th work by applying some teak oil. It looks nice. But another firend told me that it was a mistake as originaly they might have been lacquered and now that the panles are impregnated with oil it will be impossible to lacqjuer them again.
Thanks!