Author Topic: Recommended Oils for 12/24 Anzani  (Read 2857 times)

AE413

• View Profile
Recommended Oils for 12/24 Anzani
« on: March 27, 2016, 10:18:25 »
Can anyone recommend the correct oils to use in an Anzani engined AC? Presumably a non-detergent oil in the engine (SAE 50?). What is best for the transaxle as I would expect it to have to be a compromise between something heavy for the worm drive and something lighter for the gears?

John D

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 22:11:22 »
You dont say whether your engine is recently rebuilt (and therefore "clean").

I have not long ago rebuilt a Swift 1100cc 4 cyl side valve 1924 and is similar to your engine, and ran miller running in oil,then Castrol GP50 as I had a thermosiphon cooling (no pump) and wanted to keep oil pressure good under high temperature. A friend who also has a Swift went with penrite shelsley heavy 40-70 and reported no problems and has done several 1000's miles.

If the engine is old and has a lot of potential sludge./carbon I would stick with monograde non detergent(ie SAE30/40 or 50). Depending on your cooling characteristics/state of your oil pump and system pressure leakage use 30 or 40 or 50.

My personal preference is the Castrol GP50.

If you have rebuilt and are starting from clean you could use multigrade.

Hope that helps.
   Graham

AE413

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 15:15:01 »
Thanks for your reply Graham. The engine has not been rebuilt, which is why I thought it best to avoid a highly detergent modern oil.

John D

jonto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 06:55:48 »
I would say its very important to use a none detergent oil in the engine unless you have a full flow filter. I used to use SAE 30.
   In the transmission DO NOT use an EP oil as it has additives that damage bronze, I used to use AG 240, made for Foden lorry rear axles and other worm drive applications.

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 13:16:08 »
I looked at fitting a full flow filter and oil cooler but in the end just made sure everything was super clean and I glued some circular magnets into the sump plug which from memory was close to the oil pump pickup. I also had the oil pump gears remade. I did not keep the car long enough to see if the magnets made a difference.

After all in period it ran well enough.

If you drop the sump on yours you will be able to do a good clean up and gauge the state of the engine/check & clean the oil strainer on the oil pump.

Graham

jonto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 23:05:13 »
My memory is at fault, the transmission oil I used is AG 250 not 240, you will find its specifications on the internet.