Author Topic: AC 427 S/C Continuation  (Read 31555 times)

Chafford

• View Profile
AC 427 S/C Continuation
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2007, 08:13:25 »
Article on a '66 427 in this month's Classic Car Magazine (converted to S/C spec as most of them are).

http://www.classiccarsmagazine.co.uk/contentengine/view.ehtml?k=feb07issue&d=classiccars/news/news07

SB7019

• View Profile
AC 427 S/C Continuation
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2007, 10:40:32 »
Chafford.

"Does the AC 427 S/C Continuation car have the same driving characteristics as a 60s
   Shelby 427 S/C?"

Having looked very closely at these cars being built at the Brooklands factory I presume the answer must be YES.  They are exact reproductions of the original cars including same brakes etc.

In 2001 I contemplated having one built for me but was advised against it by AC,  who felt that those characteristics do not make it well suited to European driving conditions. It may have also proved impossible to to get through the SVA test.   As a result they built a highly modified Superblower (MkIII dash, original bumper mounts, etc, etc) .  It has subsequently done 10,000 highly enjoyable miles over the last 5 1/2 years.  I doubt that a Continuation car would have had nearly as much use.

At the risk of sounding really boring, it also has a much larger boot (trunk) capacity that means it becomes a practical proposition for weekends away with my wife. This has had the added benefit of allowing us to meet some of the great people who are members of  the AC owners club.

Emmanueld

• View Profile
AC 427 S/C Continuation
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2007, 16:00:17 »
quote:
Originally posted by SB7019

Chafford.

"Does the AC 427 S/C Continuation car have the same driving characteristics as a 60s
   Shelby 427 S/C?"

Having looked very closely at these cars being built at the Brooklands factory I presume the answer must be YES.  They are exact reproductions of the original cars including same brakes etc.

In 2001 I contemplated having one built for me but was advised against it by AC,  who felt that those characteristics do not make it well suited to European driving conditions. It may have also proved impossible to to get through the SVA test.   As a result they built a highly modified Superblower (MkIII dash, original bumper mounts, etc, etc) .  It has subsequently done 10,000 highly enjoyable miles over the last 5 1/2 years.  I doubt that a Continuation car would have had nearly as much use.

At the risk of sounding really boring, it also has a much larger boot (trunk) capacity that means it becomes a practical proposition for weekends away with my wife. This has had the added benefit of allowing us to meet some of the great people who are members of  the AC owners club.

It's funny, I thought you guys' would never buy a replica? I think you should break the piggy bank a buy a real one!
   Emmanuel

Chafford

• View Profile
AC 427 S/C Continuation
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2007, 16:10:29 »
quote:
It's funny, I thought you guys' would never buy a replica? I think you should break the piggy bank a buy a real one!
   Emmanuel

Oh dear, another bite!

All ACs are 'real' and 'original'

Johan

• View Profile
AC 427 S/C Continuation
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2007, 05:38:09 »
I have an original set of AC pedals . Why do you want them ?

Emmanueld

• View Profile
AC 427 S/C Continuation
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2007, 17:22:48 »
quote:
Originally posted by Johan

Maybe, Please Email me with you offer!

Thanks,

Emmanuel

Chafford

• View Profile
AC 427 S/C Continuation
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2007, 12:29:39 »
quote:

For the Kirkham [;)]

nikbj68

• View Profile
AC 427 S/C Continuation
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2007, 15:03:01 »
quote:
Originally posted by Chafford

quote:

For the Kirkham [;)]

Hahahahahaha......Bad Man!

Emmanueld

• View Profile
AC 427 S/C Continuation
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2007, 17:15:36 »
Actually yes! why not, more appropriate there than on a MKIV! [}:)]
   Emmanuel

nikbj68

• View Profile
AC 427 S/C Continuation
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2007, 17:33:25 »
quote:
Originally posted by Emmanueld

Emmanuel

Maybe pedals with a 'K' are more appropriate though?

quote:
   ...The Kirkham pedals, however beautifull have a K instead of AC on them....Dave, I am not trying to pass my car as an original...Emmanuel

[:D][:D][:D]

TLegate

• View Profile
AC 427 S/C Continuation
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2007, 19:58:28 »
But as Kirkham make their own 'K' logo pedals - why you need AC logos? Am I missing something here? Back in the good old 80s, AC were gearing up to jump heavily on anyone using and abusing the AC script logo. I doubt it would happen now for many reasons, but I still get tempted to take a large hammer to some of the lesser 'kits' that carry that logo on the bodywork - visit the Stoneleigh Kit Car show for the full horror....maybe I can become an ACOC vigilante, being paid a bounty for every 'Cobra' destroyed for insulting the COPYRIGHT logo. I reckon a couple of sticks of gelignite under the lid should sort the problem. OK - discuss...

Chafford

• View Profile
AC 427 S/C Continuation
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2007, 20:41:56 »
quote:

Emmanuel

Well actually no! A MkIV is an AC, a Kirkham is a look-alike.

I've found a more appropriate thread for you on Club Cobra, all 17 pages of it!

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76100

TLegate

• View Profile
AC 427 S/C Continuation
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2007, 21:38:17 »
All human life is on Club Cobra (and more besides.....)

I might own an AC but there's nothing I don't like about a Kirkham. The badges may be different, but I have never lost any sleep over a badge.

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
AC 427 S/C Continuation
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2007, 01:09:46 »
Must be friday night and you guys are at a loss for a date or something better to do. Why don't you take a minute and check out the "real" cobras on www.kirkhammotorsports.com
   Boy there are some nice cars on that website. And, boy, aren't we lucky for these guys to keep a lot of the originals going with parts and genuine aluminum bodywork. Heck even good ole shell bought a few of their aluminum bodies... i wonder if David knows he's getting this kind of press on the ACOC website?
   By the way what makes me a better person? driving my "genuine" Aceca or my fake, kit, replica, component, cobbled together from fake parts car that looks so good I've been asked which CSX number it is by people in the know at the Shelby convention Kirkham 289 FIA?
   that was a long sentence...I never try to pass it as an original, but the question "is it real?" leaves me with having to answer as real as it will blow the doors off your corvette!!!
   Let's face it:in the greater scheme of things...the very lucky few who have earned the funds to own an original are probably not all that worried about his whole thread, as there are far more people talking about what's real and what not who should belong and who should not that could never own an original, but that does not mean they are having any less enjoyment of the marque and are honoring it with owning a replica....
   Phew, that was long winded, must be friday night and I am at a loss for a date....
   Is it real? or is it Kirkham? Who really cares?

Emmanueld

• View Profile
AC 427 S/C Continuation
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2007, 02:00:59 »
quote:
Originally posted by Gus Meyjes

Must be friday night and you guys are at a loss for a date or something better to do. Why don't you take a minute and check out the "real" cobras on www.kirkhammotorsports.com
   Boy there are some nice cars on that website. And, boy, aren't we lucky for these guys to keep a lot of the originals going with parts and genuine aluminum bodywork. Heck even good ole shell bought a few of their aluminum bodies... i wonder if David knows he's getting this kind of press on the ACOC website?
   By the way what makes me a better person? driving my "genuine" Aceca or my fake, kit, replica, component, cobbled together from fake parts car that looks so good I've been asked which CSX number it is by people in the know at the Shelby convention Kirkham 289 FIA?
   that was a long sentence...I never try to pass it as an original, but the question "is it real?" leaves me with having to answer as real as it will blow the doors off your corvette!!!
   Let's face it:in the greater scheme of things...the very lucky few who have earned the funds to own an original are probably not all that worried about his whole thread, as there are far more people talking about what's real and what not who should belong and who should not that could never own an original, but that does not mean they are having any less enjoyment of the marque and are honoring it with owning a replica....
   Phew, that was long winded, must be friday night and I am at a loss for a date....
   Is it real? or is it Kirkham? Who really cares?

THANKS, Finally someone who fully agrees with me! These cars, when properly built are exactly like the original or better! Who cares who built it in the first place or what tag is on the chassis. By the way, nice car, what chassis do you have? coil or leaf? Regards

Kirkham

MarkIV

Emmanuel