Author Topic: Air Cleaners AC 428  (Read 15162 times)

Englishman

• View Profile
Air Cleaners AC 428
« on: August 08, 2007, 04:11:48 »
This may be a silly question so.... Why does everyone put the 14 inch or thereabouts circular air cleaner on top of the carby ?
   I like the Cobra oval air cleaner sitting on top of a Holley Carby and that would match the Cobra Le Mans rocker covers.
   Is it a size problem ?

Peter

Emmanueld

• View Profile
Air Cleaners AC 428
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 17:08:48 »
Hi peter, the cobra oval air cleaner is not worth a damn as far as breathing is concern. the 14" is the best all around. After installing my PI manifold I did not have enough clearance between the hood and the carb to even use the Ford 14" filter. I installed a 1960's GM unit which cam stock on BB 66 to 71 Corvettes, Chevelles, etc. It's the lowest 14" air cleaner I have seen. It's not only the size of the filter but also the height which determines the breathing!

Emmanuel

Englishman

• View Profile
Air Cleaners AC 428
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 01:36:11 »
Emmanuel,

Thanks for the tip I will check out dimensions, concensus seems to point to the 14" pancake air cleaner.

Peter

Englishman

• View Profile
Air Cleaners AC 428
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 01:36:47 »
Hi Emmanuel,

The intake manifold on my engine is an Edlebrock alloy so I am unsure if that has the same dimensions as your Police Interceptor.

Time will tell

Peter

Emmanueld

• View Profile
Air Cleaners AC 428
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 19:58:33 »
Hi Peter, Which Edelbrock alloy? one is good, one is not! The Performer is the good one but it has limited clearance. The other one is a 390 manifold (I forgot the name), good clearance but made for the 390 and truck motors, very limited power potential. As you can see, it has very small runners. My car came with that one. I got rid of it quickly on Ebay. You can gain an easy 40 HP by using a PI interceptor or even a Blue Thunder! My other car has a Blue Thunder MR, I am going to check the difference in height with the Ford PI to see if it will fit under the hood!

See photos;

Emmanuel

Englishman

• View Profile
Air Cleaners AC 428
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 00:16:31 »
Emmanuel,

I have now located the engine builder who is going to send me the details of what he did to the motor, it is a race motor shop in Bribane. Will answer your query after I get the details.

Cheers

Peter