Author Topic: Aluminum radiator for cobras and 428 on EBay  (Read 5106 times)

Emmanueld

• View Profile
Aluminum radiator for cobras and 428 on EBay
« on: June 27, 2011, 15:41:32 »
There is a Fluidyne aluminum radiator listed currently on EBay. This is an exact reproduction of the original AC Cobra radiator which fits both small block and big block  Cobras and 428 Fruas. With 3X1 inch tubes, it provides substantially more cooling capacity than the original brass radiator.  Jeffrey has been running one on his car for years and I just bought one as well. Fluidyne radiators are very  well made and this listing is at a reasonable  price and is negotiable. If anybody needs a new radiator, you will like it. It may even fit the MK IV but I am not 100% positive.

FLUIDYNE Aluminum RADIATOR 62-68 Shelby AC Cobra 63 64

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FLUIDYNE-Aluminum-RADIATOR-62-68-Shelby-AC-Cobra-63-64_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33602QQitemZ350370888166

I received my new radiator last week. Compared to the original, it's quite a bit thicker and quite a bit lighter. 1/2" to 3/4" thicker. Weight is less than 1/3. This is their  new and  improved 5 row radiator, so a good fan will be needed. I spoke to Fluidyne tech service and they told me the five row is a new core design based on their Nascar radiator with ultra high cooling efficiency. They said the air flow is similar to the old three row core, we will see when it's back on the car!  I also bought a 16" extreme performance pulling  Spal fan with matching heavy duty wiring and relay, very nicely made with very heavy gage wiring and 60 amps fuse. It also has modern waterproof connectors, really good stuff it seems! This will connect directly to the original wiring and take the load off the original fuse box. I was planning on installing twin 11" fans but they won't fit, the radiator is just too narrow! When we replaced the tiny original pusher fan, we connected the new one to the original wiring and it was too much for the old system despite the AC recommended  Lucas 50 Amps fuse. Now the fan will have it's own dedicated loom and the 50 Amps Lucas fuse in the main fuse box will be replaced by a 15 Amps more in line with the original wire gage. In the Southern California hot climate and our traffic, the fan run 90% of the time and the original wiring was not designed for such extreme conditions.

http://www.spalusa.com/store/main.aspx?p=itemdetail&item=30102803

The big fan is good for about 3200 CFM at zero pressure and looses very little with back pressure, it also comes with a rubber gasket to make a seal with the radiator fins. I should be enough to move a lot of air through this big radiator. The big question is, will the whole thing fit in front of the steering rack? I may need to use a slim fan.  They have  a much slimmer and even more powerful fan which is used by NASCAR, however they do not recommend it for street use as it is not made to last and is much noisier. We will see.

Emmanuel[:)]

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 00:43:56 »
Here are a couple of photos of the radiator!

The radiator is 1/2" thicker than original!

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 19:10:52 »
Hi guys, Yesterday i measured Jeffrey's three row Fluidyne radiator and compared it with my new five row, thickness is identical, so it should fit perfectly and the fan should clear the steering rack. Incidently, Jeffreys A/C unit is in the car and it fits perfectly under the dashboard. Once the radio console is back on, the system will be perfectly stealth. What a pleasure it will be to drive a fully air conditioned 428 coupe!