Author Topic: AC Frua Restoration, Engine and drivetrain!  (Read 4211 times)

Emmanueld

• View Profile
AC Frua Restoration, Engine and drivetrain!
« on: April 08, 2011, 02:41:34 »
I will start with photos of the original 428 engine which I still have. We replaced crank and rods bearings, installed Edelbrock aluminium heads, Special Police Aluminium intake and a period correct matching number Holley 735 four barrel carb as on 1967-68 Mustang Shelby GT500 cars. I still have the motor and its in storage. This engine has a very strong hydraulic Crower cam and does probably low to mid 400HPs. It was not dynoed. But a very good engine nevertheless. Pulled strongly to about 5500RPM with massive torque.

Now the new Side-Oiler stroked to 454 cubes:

Emmanuel [:)]

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 03:01:26 »
C6 automatic Transmission (Sold), huge thing:

4 speeds Toploader transmission which is now back in its box (for sale).

This gearbox fits the Frua without any modifications and was stock on manual cars.

Emmanuel

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 20:23:34 »
Current 454 cu Side Oiler ready to be installed back in the car! It now features a mechanical secondaries double pumper carb with annular discharge! Since it will be a while before it goes back in the car, I will remove the headers and will have them ceramic coated black inside out! This should further reduce engine heat in the car. Notice the Aviaid high capacity baffled alloy oil pan. It contains 9 quarts of oil. It is a period item on 1960s racing Cobras and Shelby Mustang and is still made. I think any Ford big block car should be so equipped.

I am now thinking to make new stainless steel headers, they will be raw 304 stainless, not polished and ceramic coated on the inside to reduce discoloration and engine compartment heat!

Emmanuel [:)]

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 04:19:57 »
Here are some photos of my new distributor. We started with a used EBay $28 Ford 390 vacuum advance distributor, hard chromed the shaft for hardness, replaced the bushings and installed MSD pickup and magnetic wheel and here you go, A stock looking Ford vacuum distributor which performs like a brand new MSD Pro Billet unit. It will plug right in the MSD control box. The vacuum advance is a must these days with gas prices around $4.50 per gallon. Properly tuned, you can save between 1 and 3 miles per gallons and increase mid-range performance on the street. It was set up for the car, the weight, final ratio, gearbox type, engine displacement, cam type, compression, and carburetor type.
   I must say I am impressed, great workmanship. I should  be much better than the Pertronix electronic ignition which have been failing regularly on my car.

I think AC Ace and Bristol owners should ask Dave if he can modify their distributors to accept an MSD trigger which is by far the best and most reliable after market ignition in the industry.

Over the years, I installed MSD ignitions in all of my vintage cars and had only one failure, a 6AL box which had been bought used on EBay. Upon removal I realized it had been opened before.

My brother on his E- Type had installed various Euro made electronic ignitions, they all failed, so much so that he went back to points to achieve decent reliability.

Here is the site of Dave ray who does these mods:

http://www.davessmallbodyheis.com/

Here is my distributor:

Outside:

Inside:

It's coming together little by little.

Emmanuel[:)]