Author Topic: Racing History BEX333 (1957-1964)  (Read 118669 times)

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Racing History BEX333 (1957-1964)
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2010, 19:08:20 »
John

You are a Star...[;)]

A quick visit to The Oldirish web site, browsed threw the pictures of the Motley Bunch, ( The Purple Lips racing Team !)  Bet they had a hoot at the Vintage race meets during the past thirty years or so.

Sent a couple of emails to Don Chapman and received immediate acknowledgement, Hopefully new material surfaces on BEX333 and other Aces raced in Period(1950s/1960s) or Vintaged raced. (1980s todate)in North west USA, Canada, & British Columbia.

The ACOC Forum is a great tool and has come up trumps time after time,  thanks John for a New Lead .....  Appreciated. [;)]

Keith.. .. [:)]

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2010, 23:31:51 »
Further to John's reference to Don Chapman and " The Purple Lips Racing Team" I have now received the following
   email from  Art Cleveland in South Florida.

Hi Keith

Donald " Don" K Chapman lives at 515 Mar Loop,  Eugene.  OR 97401
   phone 541-484-9929.... (West Coast time)

As John points out, many of us "Weeeezer" guys who were there when the Cars were new are now checking out, so hopefully Mr Chapman can still give you  some new info..  ..[?]

Art Cleveland.

Looking at Don's picture on his website, If Don was competing and racing Aces in the late fifties he would have been a bloooming rich kid that's for sure.
   Wouldn't have thought many 17/18 year olds could afford
   a Ace for the road let alone race one.

Point taken, many who raced in the late fifties have been
   drawing their pension for some years.or pushing up the diasies.

Do any club members or vintage/classic racing enthusiasts live within striking distance of Eugene. OR. 97401 .[?]

If so any chance of giving Don a call and possibly arranging a visit?  A long shot I know,  but one has to try.

Thank you Art for confirming Don's address,appreciated. As stated
   in reply to Jrlucke poste, I have sent a couple of email to Don
   so must wait in anticipation.

Sure you are not a "Weezer", If you are Art then you really need
   to Drive your AC a little faster to clear those old tubes.

Cheers for Now

Keith..[:)]

jrlucke

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2010, 00:00:02 »
Regarding rich kids with AC's.

The pretty mangled red AC my friend purchased in Tucson circa 1966 (when we were both poor Air Force enlistees)cost $700 US. After a lot of sweat labor removing paint/primer and another $300 for body work, the car was ready for a road trip from Southern Arizona through Denver and on to Philadelphia (all as I recall trouble free and with no top!).

In the early 1970's as a mid-20's sports car addict, I purchased RS5024 for $1800-2000 and sold it a couple years later for $2200 (if we'd only known).

At that time these and others (a Lister Jag/Chevy for $600, my XK120 in trade for a '59 VW Beetle) were just old worn out sports cars!

John

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2010, 00:42:17 »
Received from:- Jerry Liudahl, Eugene,  Oregon,USA (17th Dec 2010)

Re:   AC Ace Bristol's  BEX331 / BEX332 & BEX333

Keith

I visited the thread on the ACOC website and wish I had before I responded.  I had not forgotten the AC Ace mentioned in Don Chapman's old email below.  I just knew it was not your car.  After looking through the thread and seeing that it was one of the three cars imported together with your car, sorry I didn't mention it in my recent email.

BEX332 was owned from new by a family in Eastern Washington State.  Bob Macherione ,who was part of The Purple Lips Racing  Team tried to buy the car in 1995 and thought he had a deal.  It had been parked for a long time and stored in a barn on the family farm.   Rough but very restorable.  The owners had second thoughts and didn't sell.  Less than a year later the barn and most of the car was consumed by a grass fire on the property.  They subsequently gave the car to Bob to haul off, which he did with the idea of doing something with the chassis.  The more we looked at it, the more we realized it was going to be a very difficult project to resurrect the car.

Bob subsequently sold the car to Ted Boskovich who lived in Tacoma and also was active on the vintage racing scene at the same time we were.  Ted had an AC and wanted the car for parts, particularly the Bristol engine.  Unfortunately, Ted passed away this past September and I don't know what he ever did with the car.  I will try and contact his wife.  I will also be seeing both Bob and Don tomorrow evening at a Christmas party, they may know as they saw Ted more recently than I last did.  Somewhere I have a photo of the car (chassis) after the fire.

In response to other parts of the thread, Don Chapman did not race back in the 50's.  He began his racing career in the 1980's, so he won't be much help with information on your car.  Purple Lips Racing was a group of friends who had a love of cars and racing in common.  We raced an AH 3000, Jaguar E-Type and ex-factory Datsun 2000 Lightweight Roadster.  Bob is the only one still actively racing and now owns the Purple Lips Healey.  Don quit racing due to health reasons.  My ex-wife put a financial end to mine and two kids in college have extended my hiatus.  I have to content myself with my street cars, but recently drove 30 laps in a NASCAR in Texas at 170 mph, so it got my racing juices flowing again!

I still have many friends involved with vintage racing in Washington and BC.  While most are too young, you never know who knows someone else.  I will put out feelers for more information on your car and report back periodically.

Merry Christmas!

Jerry Liudahl
   Eugene, Oregon USA

Many thanks Jerry, lets hope some more material surfaces from your contacts in Oregon, In the meantime.  Best wishes for a

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year  2011

Keith.. ..[:)]
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 12:50:42 by AC Ace Bristol »

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2010, 11:06:37 »
Received the following email to Update Jerry's previous email.

Re:  BEX331 / BEX332  &  BEX333

Let's hope Jerry and his Classic Sports Car Racing Colleagues unearth a few gems whilst routing through the archives and remminissing on past race meetings.

It's the chance word and email like this that open new doors and often result in yet more history and photographs materialising,thus helping to create a more accurate  picture of our ACs History.(This Forum has most certainly produced great  results on the History of BEX333 )

Glad to hear that this thread has created the opportunity for Jerry and his Racing Buddies to get together and have a good night out.
   A regular reunion .[?]

Keith .. [:)]

Jerry's email attached below:-

Keith,

I spoke with both Bob Macherione and Don Chapman last night.  We had great fun talking about our days racing under the Purple Lips banner and prompted us to make plans for having a reunion soon.  You are in part to thank for that, as your emails were the catalyst for our conversation about "the good old days".

As to BEX332, it is not believed to have been ever raced.  We also believe that Ted Boskovitch still had the remains of the car, as well as his other AC Ace.  I will write his widow after the holiday to confirm and see if I can find any history she may know on either car.  At the very least, the car number of the other Ace.

In May, we make an annual trek up to Vancouver, BC for the All British Meet there.  Over 600 cars turn out and depending on weather, a handful of AC cars.  I will keep an eye out for an AC Ace or Ace Bristol, as I know I have seen them there in years past.  The BC vintage racing club also has a display there and I will inquire about a source that may have photos or knowledge of AC cars racing in the late 50's.  I will report back what I find.

You may have already contacted him, but Dale LaFollette is an individual that sells vintage racing photos http://www.vintagemotorphoto.com/.  His email address is on the website.  Dale was the general manager of Portland International Raceway at one time and still lives in the Portland area here in Oregon.  While the photos he sells on his website are intended for a wider audience, I wonder if he might not have some collections of NW racing from the era you seek.  Might be worth an inquiry.

Monte Shelton owns the Jaguar dealership in Portland and began racing an Austin Healey 100 in 1960.  Slightly after the period, but he was very active in NW racing and may recall information about your car.  His dealership was also the BMC dealership at one time and they run a collector car business across the street, so its hard to say what all has gone through their showrooms over the years.  I think he is 77 now and no longer active in the business.  You might contact Bill Penny who runs the classic car side http://www.monteshelton.com/collector.html (sorry no email address.)  He may be able to hook you up with Monte and see if he can help in your search.

I am sure more things will come to me over time.  I am just south of 60 myself, so I appreciate your comments on gray cells and the march of time.  I have done similar searches myself and can relate to what you are trying to do.  I envy your Le Mans Classic involvement.  Best of luck and I will stay in touch.

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Jerry

Jerry Liudahl
   Old Irish Racing - Jaguar
   Eugene, OR USA
   www.oldirish.com
   Jaguar's 75th Anniversary 2010

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 28, 2010, 14:24:05 »
Latest update 28th Dec 2010

Have unearthed three very poor quality B&W pictures of James & Joann Parsons competing in the:
   NORTHGATE GYMKHANA dated  July 18th 1959

Confirming that whilst owned and raced by James (Jim) H Parsons
   BEX333 wore the USA number plate  AKF221.

Not ARZ913 as originally thought, BEX333 inherited the number ARZ913 in 1963, or possibly when purchased by Lee Kolb.
   (by which time it was painted red and in need of some serious TLC)

Ooppsss Sorry, [:(] ..  But can everyone who has followed this thread over the Past three years please go through your
   archives again and see if you have any pictures of a White or Beige Ace Bristol wearing number plate  AKF221.

Unfortunately all three new  photo copy pictures are of such poor quality they will not reproduce  with any clarity.
   I will try and enhance but almost certain they will not be suitable to post on this thread.
   (Might just end sending enhanced pictures to Doctor Nik Bagshaw, for his assessment)..[8D]

In the meantime, ..  ..  All the Best for 2011  

Keith ..  ..[:)]

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 28, 2010, 18:49:42 »
Originally posted by AC Ace Bristol:
   Have unearthed three very poor quality B&W pictures of James & Joann Parsons competing in the NORTHGATE GYMKHANA...
   I will try and enhance but almost certain they will not be suitable to post on this thread.
Well, here they are, in all their glory!:

Young Jim wasn`t afraid to chuck the Ace about, was he?! Wow!

« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 23:43:08 by nikbj68 »

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2010, 14:18:24 »
Dr Nikbj

Thank you for your time and effort (skill) in improving the clarity of the three Northgate photos. I was quite proud of my
   attempt at improving  clarity,  but I must confess,  you have taken them to a higher level.

Regards Jim giving it some wellie,  Think Jim might have forgotton
   Joann was alongside.
   Wonder what was said back in the Parking lot..[:(!]..[B)]..[:(]..[?]

Keith

Louism

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2011, 11:48:08 »
Hello Keith,

For my search about Le Mans I was reading "AC Six-cylinder Sports-car" by Rinsey Mills.
   If you look at the story of BEX399 in page 172, for the second participation of the car at the 24 hours 1961 (the only car to have race twice by the way) it is said she was slower than the second car in the class...BEX333.
   You did not tell me BEX333 had a story in Le Mans !!![;)][:D]
   I think the author wanted to write BEX1110.

Cheers
   Louis

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2011, 13:56:43 »
Louis

IF ONLY !!  

Both Barry & I have driven BEX333 round the Le Mans circuit a few times over the past 5 Le Mans Classic,
   But these have been Parade laps at full chatter, passing various cars at over 100mph  and
   being passed at 155mph by the odd Ferrari.[:D] (Achieved a Boyhood Dream)..[:p]

Rinsey Mills has made a small error in his latest book. (which is Rare and out of character for Rinsey, He is usually
   very fastidious with his research).
   BEX333 never raced at 24 hrs Le Mans in the early 1960s, she was still racing in NW USA, Vancouver &
   British Columbia in the capable hands of Jim Parsons .. .. .. Not as prestigious as The 24hr Le Mans.

Louis you are correct Rinsey Mills should have printed BEX1110 for the 1961 24hr Le Mans.
   Keep up your research on  AC Ace participation in the 24hour Le Mans. Especially reference to the history of  BEX289

Keith.. ..[:)]

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2011, 20:08:26 »
Originally posted by AC Ace Bristol...BEX333 never raced at 24 hrs Le Mans in the early 1960s...you are correct Rinsey Mills should have printed BEX1110 for the 1961 24hr Le Mans....Keith...:)

Here`s a photo of BEX 1110 being 'numerated' at Le Mans in 1961! Is that supposed to be a '2' or a '9'... make your mind up!

« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 23:46:32 by nikbj68 »

Louism

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2011, 06:12:35 »
Thank you,
   Good (famous) picture !
   No problem with numbers, two Aces in 61:

Number 28: BEX1110 entered by Chardonnet the french AC importator, Magne-Alexandrovitch, 17th (3507,282 Km average 146,137 Km/h)
   Best lap in practises 5'00'8
   Best lap in race 5'16'4

Number 29: BEX399 Swiss entry, Wicky-Berney, DNF overheating 11th hour
   Best lap in practises 5'09'8
   Best lap in race 5'09'2

The best topic for this would be "Les AC Ace Bristol au Le Mans 24hr... 57-62" [:)]

Thanks for more pictures [;)]
   Louis

tim isles

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2011, 17:22:28 »
Louis,

Am I right in saying that car #28 claimed AC's second class win at Le Mans? I think it won the class for GT Cars, 1601 - 2000 ccs. For some reason this achievement is rarely mentioned?

Good luck with the book!

Tim

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2011, 00:23:53 »
quote:
Originally posted by Louism

Thank you,
   Good (famous) picture !
   No problem with numbers, two Aces in 61:

Number 28: BEX1110 entered by Chardonnet the french AC importator, Magne-Alexandrovitch, 17th (3507,282 Km average 146,137 Km/h)
   Best lap in practises 5'00'8
   Best lap in race 5'16'4

Number 29: BEX399 Swiss entry, Wicky-Berney, DNF overheating 11th hour
   Best lap in practises 5'09'8
   Best lap in race 5'09'2

The best topic for this would be "Les AC Ace Bristol au Le Mans 24hr... 57-62" [:)]

Thanks for more pictures [;)]
   Louis

Louis

In response to your request, I have copied the last few posts to
   your  Thread reference

"Les AC Ace Bristol au Le Mans 24hr. 1957-1962"

Unfortunately the picture didn't transport across, have  therefore emailed three pictures of BEX1110 to Nik.
   Requesting he post them on your thread.

Keith..[;)]

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2011, 12:08:55 »
<b>BEX333</b> Driven by James (Jim) Parsons, Competed in various  racing events throughout 1957 to 1964 in NW USA,
   Vancouver &  British Columbia,  However to date I am still looking for information e.g. Race programm, race result sheets and
   Photographs to complement two of the many Race Plaques displayed earlier on this thread.

Jim Parsons. .. White Ace Bristol. ..USA number plate AKF221  or possibly  Metalic  Blue   (  BEX333 was hit numerous times  and  was repainted 
         metallic Silver Blue colour,  Then red in 1964, bare Ali in 1978 and eventually  Black in 1985)

S C C A     Shelton   4-19-59
   OV     1600 PRo
   2nd CLD

and

DEER PARK
   1959     3rd  B  Prod

Has any one any information on either of these two events..[?]
   or knows someone who attended these events..[?]

Any information gratefully received. either posted on this
   thread via email or posted by Snail Mail.

Keith..[:)]
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 09:15:25 by AC Ace Bristol »