Author Topic: 2 lt being broken to make an ACE call me a Killjoy  (Read 8142 times)

BE774

• View Profile
2 lt being broken to make an ACE call me a Killjoy
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2016, 19:39:21 »
I believe that there is no part of the chassis or suspension system that is common between the two models.
Barbara

GSouthee

• Climate warming bring it on, save heating.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2016, 19:17:28 »
You are indeed right about the Ace chassis.

My main gripe is the need to destroy a perfectly reasonable 2 litre saloon to make an ACE.

Below are the requirements to keep original status and Reg number.

Chassis, monocoque bodyshell (body and chassis as one unit) or frame - original or new and unmodified (direct from manufacturer)   5
   Suspension (front and back) - original   2
   Axles (both) - original   2
   Transmission - original   2
   Steering assembly - original   2
   Engine - original   1

As you know an ace has the suspension in a different format so by altering those he will obviously not get the 2 points for them. He will have top butcher the Chassis or use anther one from a third party so no 5 points, ok engine and transmission he will keep from the 2 litre that is the same as early Aces, so he gets 3 points, he will probably have to alter the steering so no points there either. So in total he could get 3 points. Not enough to meet the 8 required to keep its historic status/original or date related reg number and would have to pass the relevant type approval probably SVA just like a kitcar.

Seems he will be on a loser, and if he carries it out and tries to fool the DVLA he may end up with a very hefty fine a Prohibition notice and vehicle destruction order.

Shame, now just rebuild the 2 litre and if it is really necessary turn it into a drophead, but dont destroy another historic car just for financial gain. If he wants an Ace then build a rep and put it through the relevant tests, after all we do not his mechanical/building skills it could be a death trap in waiting.

Cheers  G
A car is only original once, but, you can modify it as many times as you like.

My car my rules.

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2016, 11:20:34 »
Sorry for the 'youthspeak' Gary...I really should act my age!
   The '1951' Ruddspeed Ace that John showed above confirms my statement, that even though it is 'nut & bolt' identical to the 37 'real' RS`s,(hence the FiA HTP) it is worth 1/2 their values, so THIS Ace build, based on the (excellent)Hawk, would probably have a market value in the mid-£30k range,(unless they go Ali for the body) and I doubt that value would be enhanced by an AC chassis number...

GSouthee

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2016, 13:17:42 »
I am told by himself that he has the chance to get hold of the rear end of an ali ace body and is looking to have a front end made.

Personally I have no problem with an Ace rep and how much he may or may not make/lose, my problem id the fact that he is using/destroying  a good 2 litre saloon to obtain fraudulently an age related number and or keep its historic status when it clearly should not keep.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

G

My car my rules.

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2016, 18:07:01 »
Ditto that.

The Hawk base is far enough away from original to make it pointless (IMHO, again!)to use the 2-litre.
   Better would be to use a 60`s MGB and take sufficient parts from that (which DO fit the Hawk) and correctly register it as a Hawk, sufficient components will qualify it for historic status, then at a later date fit the AC engine & box etc...

jrlucke

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2016, 18:15:59 »
Add that the "authentic" AC id number will not be an Axx, Bxx, Rxx series number and it will be obvious that the vehicle is a repro/replica.

I think there was mention of obtaining a historic chassis to obtain an in period plate. That is something that is unique to certain areas of the world. Here in the states, plates change from state to state, owner to owner, and in some cases with regularity to assure a clean identifiable plate. In the end it is the manufacturer's ID which is important and an AC "EL" ID does not make an Ace.

John

GSouthee

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2016, 18:31:51 »
Jr and I thought the states were united. You are indeed right over here you need to retain a certain amount of original parts as in an earlier post to get 8 points then you can obtain a period correct registration and even historical status.

And Nik yep build a Hawk lovely car, just not try to fool anyone by sacrificing a fast disappearing car model that has a history within AC's growth and do not forget without the saloon AC may have vanished long before they got to make the Ace and later the Cobra.

I'd love an Ace but some of us have to live in the real world, apart from that with my knackered knees getting in and out would be a pain.

My 'Ol Girl' always gets people talking when they see it parked up ion our local villages outside a coffee shop/pub/tea shop/restaurant/bistro, are you see what I do all day.

Now must go and do a little calming meditation, no bugger it I'll pop down the pub in my 2 litre saloon.

My car my rules.

GSouthee

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2016, 19:25:42 »
Ah  ,Now a much happier man, I see he is now going to build a Hawk using the AC engine very sensible. He is selling the body and chassis for resto now, much better idea.

At least a 2 litre is potentially going to be saved.

G

My car my rules.

Jam2

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2016, 07:00:05 »
That is good news.  But why does he not just sell the saloon complete and buy an AC engine?