Author Topic: Lower Front Ball Joints Again!!  (Read 3884 times)

linklaw

• View Profile
Lower Front Ball Joints Again!!
« on: October 18, 2009, 15:11:10 »
I have been trying to locate either a lower front ball joint to purchase or a part number for one. I know that some have reported that Saab ball joints were used, however the Saab ball joint holes do not match up. I have emailed Brooklands several times and have never received an answer as to whether they have the part available. Does anyone have a part number or a ball joint available for purchase? I can't believe that Autokraft had special ball joints made for the 400 or so cars that were produced. Has anyone replaced their ball joint? If we can get an answer to this puzzle, all will benefit in the long run. Thanks. John

linklaw

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 15:12:35 »
I also sent an email to Gerry Hawkridge and didn't hear back.

jbottini

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 19:05:13 »
MKIV...how about some of your help here?!!!!!!!!

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 07:46:44 »
quote:
Originally posted by linklaw

I have been trying to locate either a lower front ball joint to purchase or a part number for one. I know that some have reported that Saab ball joints were used, however the Saab ball joint holes do not match up. I have emailed Brooklands several times and have never received an answer as to whether they have the part available. Does anyone have a part number or a ball joint available for purchase? I can't believe that Autokraft had special ball joints made for the 400 or so cars that were produced. Has anyone replaced their ball joint? If we can get an answer to this puzzle, all will benefit in the long run. Thanks. John

Do you have an early MK IV or a late one? I have the MK III front ball joints in my 1984 MK IV.

linklaw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 12:15:22 »
I have a 1985, serial number 1103. Maybe I should see if the MKIII ball joints match up.

cobham cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 12:56:56 »
If it's of any help I had the lower ball joints replaced on my '91 MkIV two or three years ago. Thunder Road in Surrey maintain my car and did the work. I remember "Big Al" saying the ball joints were a Saab item, but I also remember him saying that either the wishbone or the ball joint had to be machined. It was no big deal at the time and it was completed quickly and without problems. Both Big Al and Alec are very knowledgeable and helpful to owners and club members and I would recommend you give them a call to check-out the origin of parts and what machining is required.
   Their number is +441483763399.

Let me know if I can be of any further help.
   All the best - John.

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 15:01:20 »
I think you will find Gerry Hawkridge supplies them with parts!

jbottini

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 01:32:27 »
thanks to all, Gerry stocks one of the two...have to provide him some specs.

henryst

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 21:10:43 »
I believe there were at least 3 lower ball joints used on the MkIV.

Early ones were MK III type and would have been used up to perhaps 1986?. At this point new sealed ball joints with a two cross bolt fixing were introduced, accompanied by new two part wishbones made of rectangular box section to suit. At a time I do not remember, a further new ball joint was introduced with slightly different mounting hole spacings, perhaps by 5mm? I think all these later ball joints came in QH boxes.

Peter

linklaw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 02:15:35 »
Thanks Peter and all others who responded. My car, AK1103, has the MKIII ball joints and my friend's car. 1299, has one of the later styles. I understand that the MKIII ball joints should be available from Kirkham in the USA and one of the other styles may be available from Gerry Hawkridge. In fact, the Saab ball joint may be correct for some of the cars. John