Author Topic: Cobra in the RAC foyer, Pall Mall  (Read 5615 times)

nikbj68

• View Profile
Cobra in the RAC foyer, Pall Mall
« on: November 13, 2012, 01:31:21 »
One of the AC Owners` Club`s foremost ambassadors has been given the honour of displaying his MkIV Cobra in the grand entrance of the Royal Automobile Club`s Headquarters in Pall Mall, London, to coincide with the Cobra`s 50th anniversary & to commemorate the passing of Carroll Shelby.

Click HERE to see the installation.

OR, a Quick version here [8D]

It has been a busy year, as "TACO" made a 2000-mile trip via Spain to Monaco for the Historic GP weekend and
   Attended the Double 12 at Brooklands:

(by jamesst1968 on Flickr)
   Despite breaking a half-shaft competing on the Test Hill John posted FTD in the event.

The half-shaft was repaired just in time for a week at the Le Mans Classic:

(There was even time for a renaming ceremony!)

There was also a full day`s filming for The Discovery Channel`s Wheeler Dealers series. And no. It wasn`t John`s immaculate MkIV that needed Edd China`s TLC!

Setting up at the RAC HQ in Pall Mall required a 5:00am start time. The team at Pall Mall have moved approximately 400 display vehicles in and out and were very well practised at building the ramp and removing the revolving doors. Health and Safety no longer permit cars to be driven up the ramp into the Rotunda which was probably a good thing as the sound of TACO on tick-over would not have been a welcome alarm call for the guests sleeping two floors above!!
   After the RAC residence has come to an end in a week or so, it will be time for a well-earned winter break for this much campaigned Cob. [8D]

French Frie

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 10:45:36 »
great videos for a great car ! I do love the 15" wheels with Avons ... BTW, your link on the RAC pictures doesn't work (but the "quick version" one does !) ...

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 10:50:57 »
Link should now be OK, thanks Olivier!

French Frie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 12:49:43 »

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 13:48:56 »
Weird! Don`t understand why it was doing that, but now modified & tested OK!

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 20:24:31 »
Brilliant!

BBK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 03:13:27 »
So much fun to watch. Fantastic video!!

cobham cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 12:17:23 »
Hi Nik,
   Thanks for taking the time and for doing such a great job of listing some of the highlights of the car’s year. It’s much appreciated.
   I’ve got to be back at the RAC at 5:00 on Tuesday to get it out of the club and drive home again. I have to say I’m really not looking forward to such a cold drive home.
   FYI - given the choice, driving on carpet is preferable to the potholed tarmac of Surrey's roads.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 12:29:38 »
John..

Dont be a WIMP !!!  Drive it like you stole it, or imagine your driving Brooklands Test Hill.[;)]

Extra layer or two will keep you warm, alternatively give the keys to Rev limiter and ask her to drive it home on your behalf..[B)].

Seriously, Very little traffic around at 5.00/6.00 hours have a good trip out of London ,  try to avoid the Big Pot Holes in the Surrey roads..[;)]

Keith.

cobham cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 12:40:18 »
It was zero degrees when I drove it to the club and The Rev-Limiter decided to travel in a modern to keep warm.
   Even with extra layers, a silly hat, ski gloves – and the heated seat on maximum it was still chilly.

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 13:31:09 »
Heated seat???!!!!!! Good grief, it's the end of the world. What would Ken Miles say....?

cobham cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 14:40:27 »
Doesn’t every MkIV have heated seats ?
   Haven’t found anywhere for the cup holders yet though.
   ;)

BBK

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 22:29:08 »
Just saw an episode of "Wheeler Dealers" on the Discovery Channel with Mr. Cobham Cobra's car at the beginning of the episode.  Wow, it looked and sounded amazing!  A beautiful Mk IV.

cobham cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 11:24:18 »
Hi Robert,
   Thanks for your kind words, I’m pleased you enjoyed it. It was a fun afternoons filming and we were very lucky with the weather as it was one of the few sunny days of the summer. The production company had the choice of two T-D Cobras and my MkIV, I think they chose TACO because it was the cheapest to insure for the shoot. In the end the production company’s  usual drive wasn’t too keen to drive it and they asked me at the last minute. We did four hours of filming to get the 90 seconds of screen time. The hardest part was driving behind the camera car. Apparently 10 feet from the camera looks like 100 yards on screen so I was asked to drive within 2 feet of the bumper (fender) at 60mph without looking at the car in front which I found quite hard.
   If I can remember how to post photos I’ll post a pic of the car at the end of the last trip, otherwise people will think it’s a trailer queen.

Cheers – John.

BBK

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 18:15:09 »
You're welcome John.  It was fun to watch and the car looks amazing.  It must have been a blast driving it for the shoot though it sounded challenging with the way they had to film it.  I really like the way the 15" wheels look on your car and am starting to think that I should get a set for mine!  I'm not sure how many people see that show but it must be in the many thousands at least, and a great way to display your terrific Mk IV.