Author Topic: Steering Column movement .  (Read 7552 times)

French Frie

• View Profile
Steering Column movement .
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2014, 09:19:13 »
yep, thanks for sharing ! I must say that sometimes there's a lack of technical infos there, but contributors like Peter (Dkp_Cobra), Uwe (Wescott) and others do their best to help ! BTW, Peter made another improvement to his column by adding another spherical bushing in the middle of the intermediate shaft, bolted to the inner wing ... he said that it was an improvement in the steering feeling.

Rob.Hendriks

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2014, 11:00:52 »
Nice bit of workmanship Steve, good to see kiwi ingenuity is still thriving and has progressed past No.8 wire

ANF289

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2014, 15:27:59 »
quote:
Originally posted by Rob.Hendriks

Nice bit of workmanship Steve, good to see kiwi ingenuity is still thriving and has progressed past No.8 wire

Impressive piece of over-engineering!  At the opposite end of the scale here’s a quick-fix for use until one gets around to ordering the original type bushing or creating that better mouse trap:  Take a 2 inch long piece of 5/8 inch ID heater hose, put a ~45 degree bevel completely around one end with a utility knife, and cut a 1/16th inch wide notch around the hose about ½ inch away from the beveled leading edge.  Just cut deep enough through the top rubber layer and strip-off to form a groove.  Then make a spiral cut through the length of the hose.  Spray the beveled end with a little silicon, wrap the hose around the distal end of the steering rod inside the pedal box, and push the beveled end through the steering column bush support bracket until the groove locks the heater hose in place.  It effectively eliminates all play in the steering column, and would make for a simple and fast repair for those that have the bush disintegrate during a road trip (like mine did!).

Kiwi Cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2014, 14:50:13 »
Not sure why you would consider the fix I made "over engineered" ANF289 when the original rubber electrical bulkhead grommet masquerading as a bearing was woefully inadequate and completely inappropriate for the application. I can't see the point in simply replacing substandard parts with the same again when an improvement is available. We all have different resources available as well as skill levels . My fix was easy for me to do so I did it and I'm really pleased with the outcome as well as having the confidence of not having to revisit it ever again I suggest. Cheers.

ANF289

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2014, 04:46:12 »
quote:
Originally posted by Kiwi Cobra

Not sure why you would consider the fix I made "over engineered" ANF289 when the original rubber electrical bulkhead grommet masquerading as a bearing was woefully inadequate and completely inappropriate for the application. I can't see the point in simply replacing substandard parts with the same again when an improvement is available. We all have different resources available as well as skill levels . My fix was easy for me to do so I did it and I'm really pleased with the outcome as well as having the confidence of not having to revisit it ever again I suggest. Cheers.

No value judgment here, it’s just the way it struck me.  Good to hear you are pleased with the outcome.  As stated previously, it is an impressive design.  However, that “original rubber electrical bulkhead grommet masquerading as a bearing” lasted 27 years in my car… not bad for something that was “woefully inadequate and completely inappropriate for the application”.  Your modification is certainly within my skill set, but I’ll stick with the original design.  Brian Angliss must have been channeling Colin Chapman when he decided to go with that grommet, and I like that.  Best.