Author Topic: Aceca Project on Bring a Trailer  (Read 4801 times)

Jim A

• View Profile
Aceca Project on Bring a Trailer
« on: September 04, 2010, 01:29:40 »
I am surprised no one has mentioned today's BaT with an Aceca in Northern California.
   It has some interesting features and features lots of work done and to be done.
   It is AEX 756 and is claimed for 1957, probably too early.
   It also has a rebuilt Bristol, that wouldn't be original to the car, but worth alot on its own.
   I hope to see others' ideas here about this AC.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 10:05:57 »
Hi  Jim

It has been spotted and discussed by a few in both UK and Europe.
   You are right it's not a 1957 Aceca as AEX756 Left Thames Ditton on  4th January 1960.

Interesting that its now complete with Bristol engine 100D21077, which according to ACOC Aceca Register was in BE811 when it left Thamed Ditton. Makes one query   Which engine is now in BE811 ..[?]

More interesting in the Text was tha fact that the owner once raced Ace Bristol BEX1004.

Has any one pictures and details of this Ace (BEX1004) on the track in the late 50s early 60s.

Have a paddock shot taken at Laguna Seca in 1979 when it was racing in  historic / classic.  Any info appreciated. [:)] Sorry to side track your original subject .[;)]

Getting back to AEX756,  $36K is a bargain, just for the Bristol engine, Gear Box  and Diff.

Would be nice to see this Aceca back on the Road, such a under rated  and under valued Car and rarer than a Ace.

Good Luck to who ever takes on this project.

Keith

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 17:02:35 »
I agree that the price is very attractive when the Bristol engine is included. Keith- the owner (George Popa) of the car has posted to the BaT thread and so you could probably contact him directly for info on BEX1004. Just click on his name and it will take you to his web page for wire sculptures he makes.
   Jay

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 16:55:58 »
Jay

Good Idea ! I will make time this evening and send him a email.

Done copied you in along with Tim Isles & Tony Bancroft.[:)]
   hopefully one of us  or all of us get some positive response within the next few days....

Cheers

Keith

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 00:06:31 »
Car is sold.

I tried to get it myself. But I was too late. Hopefully an enthusiast Got it and will do the right thing.

Gus

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 18:07:02 »
quote:
Originally posted by aex125

I agree that the price is very attractive when the Bristol engine is included. Keith- the owner (George Popa) of the car has posted to the BaT thread and so you could probably contact him directly for info on BEX1004. Just click on his name and it will take you to his web page for wire sculptures he makes.
   Jay

Jay

Made contact with George Popa, exchanged numerous email regards the Bristol engine,  The Block had been plated where it had cracked due to water freezing in the block.
   Goerge coudn't confirm the block number, the only number present bore no resemmblance to Bristol Blocks used by AC Cars or Bristol Arnott.
   The date cast in the Block was hidden by the Metal plate wich traversed 75% of the length of the block.
   No number was present on the cylinder head, and only the cam cover number was present. Was it a 100b block ?.
   The engine had not been run for many years so was a real unknown. If a block is welded/ plated or dry stiched it is imperrative that the it is line bored to ensure the camshaft rotates without picking up on the Bronze bushes  and bearings, usually indicated by reduced oil pressure as oil temperature rises.

Gus, There are other Aceca projects out there, This one was not destined for your workshop .... I daresay your next project will make itself known.

Be interesting to see how the new Custodian proceeds with this restoration.

Keith

bex316

• View Profile
    • BEX316
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 02:12:17 »
Keith and others,

At your service... here is the follow up on the story:
   http://bringatrailer.com/2010/10/06/bat-success-story-ac-aceca-headed-for-restoration/#more-

Jerry

AEX726

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 20:50:56 »
Jay

I had similar conversations with the owner and passed on the car as I asked more questions about the engine.  It also apparently has a freewheel gearbox which to me carries its own set of issues.  He was very upfront about everything, my impression was that he was learning about much of this as the questions came in.  All of this led me to concur with your assessment that there are other projects out there.  The lack of a title with the car wasn't a positive either.