Author Topic: AC Sociable Questions  (Read 3554 times)

PaulSpencer

• View Profile
AC Sociable Questions
« on: January 30, 2010, 13:08:36 »
I am currently looking at an AC Sociable, and have a few questions I am hoping someone can help me with.

1. There is a rectangular block on the floor just to the left of the brake pedal. It looks like something original, and I was wondering what it is. Something to do with the brake ratchet?

2. Is there an easy way to check that both of the ignition circuits are working? It is only something I thought of after I came away from looking at the car, so I can't get at it easily to see.

3. There are clips that hold the front down. It looks like the front used to hinge (for easy access?) or lift off, but has been permanently fixed. Anyone know what it should be like?

4. And finally - prices. Anyone know what they have been going for recently? This is a very original looking car. New upholstery some years ago, but certainly not an over-restored trailer queen.

Even more finally - I live in Chipping Norton, Oxon. Any other owners near here?

Thanks for any help, and I look forward to joining the club and meeting fellow owners if I buy the car.

Paul

john l

• View Profile
AC Sociable Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 08:20:19 »
Hi Paul

I am emailing you from New Zealand where i currently own
   an AC Sociable.Just wondering if you purchased the AC
   you were looking to buy.

John Lyons

PaulSpencer

• View Profile
AC Sociable Questions
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 14:07:34 »
Hi John,

Great to hear from you. Yes, I have bought it. I arranged insurance this morning, and am just about to transfer the money. Hope to collect over the weekend. Do you have pictures of yours? It would be interesting to see how others look.

I would love to hear from any other owners, especially from the UK.

Paul

PaulSpencer

• View Profile
AC Sociable Questions
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 16:01:02 »
Well, I got the car slightly later than I had hoped, but it is now here and filling the triangular space I had in my garage. So far, I have just been for one run. I still have a couple of questions:

1. The handbook mentions lubricating the clutch cone. There is a bolt in the cone cover. I assume I remove that and lubricate through the hole. What with, how much and how often?

2. The handbook mentions an "extra air lever". I don't seem to have one. What I do have is a broken cable at the top of the carburettor with a clamp holding it fully up. Is this what should be connected to the non-existent lever? Can anyone send photos to show me what it should all look like?

Thanks

Paul

AE413

• View Profile
AC Sociable Questions
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 22:28:01 »
I know it is rather a long time since your question about what oil to use on the cone clutch, but in case you have not found out yet it is "Neatsfoot oil". Google on that and you will find plenty of sources.

John D