Author Topic: Views on originality....?  (Read 3349 times)

Morgy

• View Profile
Views on originality....?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 14:40:08 »
Very interesting...

I am a fan of barn find style cars, showing worts and all...

BE774

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 16:57:39 »
I think that it is simply a question of originality - you only have it once and if a car has deteriorated to the extent that significant parts have to be replaced, then so be it, whether to original specification or not as the owners decides or can afford.

So how many original older cars are there really in existence? As a percentage of those made, very few, I would wager.

Just because a car has had significant parts replaced, that does not make it a lesser one, just different. These changes are all a part of its history and should be understood as such.
Barbara

Jam2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 10:39:57 »
Where a car has been well maintained all its life, paintwork and interior showing its age but essentially sound, then I feel it is a great shame to do an as new restoration.
   Where a car was left in a shed because it packed up, and has collapsed seats, peeling paint etc., well perhaps ok for a museum, but to actually use?  I don't see such cars as much of a compliment to their designers and builders, just a curiosity.

AC Ventura

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 20:44:56 »
Regarding originality, I have no qualms about any owner modifying a car to his or her requirements. It's a right of ownership and if others don't share your view, well they can do what they want can't they? I currently own an Autokraft Mk IV and have no problems with changing the engine for something with more power. It's exactly what I intend to do and I'm only following a path set out by AC themselves.
     Additionally, one of the issues with time warp cars that still wear their original paint, that are supeficially corrosion free, is that it's often difficult to make good the chassis without taking the car apart. Whichever way you look at it, one day that chassis will need making good, to provide a safe driving structure.
    I like to see cars on the road, rather than in museums, so while an original car is a joy to behold, surely it's hampered by its limited usability?