Author Topic: CRS WET WEATHER GEAR  (Read 4689 times)

CRS9505

• View Profile
CRS WET WEATHER GEAR
« on: May 26, 2011, 23:47:52 »
Hi from your newest member. In reply to the question in ACtion of why many Mk IVs (that's what it says in the handbook, honest) have extremely low mileage, maybe its because they are only really useable if the weather is good NOT ONLY for the journey out but also the journey home (maybe 5 days a year in UK!) Apropos of which has any one got a set of spare or unused sidescreens and a hood? Or even better do you know the location of the original wet weather gear for CRS9505? Is it still in the dark recesses of your garage?
   I want to go to the classic 24 hours next year but am now to old to enjoy a full on topless experience - apart from the fine array of speakers getting wet. Can anyone tell me if they were all fitted at the time by the factory and how do you turn the radio thing off when the front bit is put back in place? And yes its very, very yellow. [:D]

C9OBY

• View Profile
CRS WET WEATHER GEAR
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 14:03:48 »
Hi and welcome, from CRS #9513

Sorry I can't help you regarding another hood and frame, but you could try calling Al or Alec at Thunder Road (01483763399) or Steve at Brooklands (01932850571) who may have a recommendation or two.

Personally, I gave up using my hood for long distance journeys as it takes up much of your luggage space.  We now take a full 2-piece rain jacket & trousers that you can put on in seconds (versus about 5 very wet minutes to put up the roof!) with no loss of luggage space.  While moving, the car and you stay dry, which is more than enough for most journeys.

Bruce

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
CRS WET WEATHER GEAR
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 17:30:58 »
CRS9505

WOT U MEAN  TOOO OLD

You are never too OLD to use and enjoy your AC !!

During the past 11 years and approx 50,000 miles I've put the hood up three times,  as I have never had side screens ... I simply don't use them.

If you are travelling at 50 mph or more you dont get wet, if slower you either get wet or stop and put on your golfing waterproofs or suitable wet weather gear. View either  our General Forum ...
   Ac Ace Bristol in a Hail Storm or visit you tube:-

Topless motoring in an Ace, massive hailstorm.

Stationary at lights, Put up a brolley,  give the drivers around you a laugh and enjoy the new earned Street Cred.

Seriously, Either of the two mentioned companies named above by Bruce can supply you with a set of hood irons and any good trimmer can make a set of
   side screens and hood.  Best to leave the CRS with them to ensure good fit and reasonable water proof leak free fit...
   Mind you every Cobra and Ace owner knows even factory made Hoods and Side Screens never kept the water out.[:(]

I'm Grey and 60 years young,  Get home day or night all year round wet or dry but always waring a grin ....... ENJOY !!

See you next year on the LeMans Classic,  already have 8 cars booked..[;)]

Keith..[:)]..[:)]

duggan

• View Profile
CRS WET WEATHER GEAR
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 23:18:48 »
you need a "hard" "top"

I got mine when I went to the LMC in 2010 and my better half (pictured) thought it would be a better idea as it would keep her hair in check....cue 38 degree sunshine.....

PS Keith - I/other half are up for the full tour for LMC next year - please keep us in the loop - have some big plans for the 212 S/C in the next few months

PPS - I have wet weather gear that I can lend for the LMC trip [8D]

CRS9505

• View Profile
CRS WET WEATHER GEAR
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 10:36:46 »
Thanks for that offer Duggan, will take you up on it if I dont find a set before then - despite all the joys of open air motoring beloved by Keith I can't quite get my head around getting completely soaked in a car with velour dashboard, deep pile carpets and a full on "surround sound" system (not my taste but its there) .............let alone driving with a very wet and unhappy Mrs.....(PS does Keith travel alone?)

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
CRS WET WEATHER GEAR
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 00:46:11 »
CRS9505

No,  I dont travel alone every time,  Julie often acccompanies me,  Most miles in a day with Julie just over 500,  Longest trip in BEX333 with Julie.... 2150 plus miles in 8 days.

Julie does put on extra layers if traveling back late at night, e.g. returning from continental trips and late runs home from Goodwood Revival. or simply returning to various
   Chateau at 05.00am from  Le Mans Circuit.

(Could be that Women have thinner blood then men, or is it alcohol ..[?])

Both my Sons ( Barry & Craig) either accompany me or use BEX333 when ever possible.

Interior is definitely past its sell by date, One day it will have to be retrimmed, until then it gets used. Personally over restored cars are too sterile,
   I believe they should be driven regularly and not become "Trailer Queens".[V]

Would be a boring world if we were all the same and had the same taste... Two like me and you would stop the world and get off !!

Seriously, Hard Top, Soft Top or Open to the eliments ..  .. Just Enjoy .[;)]

Keith..[:)]..[:)]

CRS9505

• View Profile
CRS WET WEATHER GEAR
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 10:39:23 »
Sounds like a lot of fun Keith, look forward to meeting you all (and Bex 333 of course)
   Mike

Alan Faulkner-Stevens

• View Profile
CRS WET WEATHER GEAR
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 21:14:36 »
Welcome CRS9505, i am the MkIV Cobra Registrar and own CRS9510. For your information and enhanced driving pleasure there are some small improvements that i would recommend to any CRS owner, especially if your car has not had them done. Based upon my inspection of nearly all the other early build cars, your vehicles engine is a 1994 built Mustang unit. The engine is completely woken up by the changing of its spark plugs to NGK Iridium units, the replacement of the AC air filter and housing with an ITG free-flow filter and most importantly the fitting of a front suspension shock tower brace. Nearly all the other CRS owners i know have completed these changes and the feed-back is nothing but good. There are other things can can be done to improve the car, but the mentioned three are cost effective and have the most dramatic effect.
   You were shown a picture of the 212 model with a hard-top on, i completed the redesign and development work on that top and can put you directly in touch with the manufacturer should you fancy that route.
   If you need any help/advice please feel free to contact me [faulknerstevens@btinternet.com]
   Alan Faulkner-Stevens

CRS9505

• View Profile
CRS WET WEATHER GEAR
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 00:34:56 »
Thanks for the welcome Alan, so far we have changed the plugs and filter, replaced the clutch cable, decatted it, fitted flatter exhausts and removed the rear anti roll bar (well actually managed to scrape it off and damage the exhaust boxes all in one go on my drive) stiffened the shocks and dialed in a little extra ride height. ("We" means I do the damage and Neil Fisher fixes it). Definitely revs a little freer although performance still just about feels on par with my V8 Diesel ML, apart from the glorious noise of course! However I was most impressed that it didnt go into meltdown on a stop - start M25 (I did hug the inside lane just in case)
   Will look into the shock tower brace and hopefully get a few miles "testing" in if the weather holds this week end.
   Mike

Alan Faulkner-Stevens

• View Profile
CRS WET WEATHER GEAR
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 07:49:36 »
Good Morning Mike, nice to hear you are enjoying the car and have sorted out some of the restrictions!! The front shock tower brace is very important. AC changed the front suspension shock tower design on the CRS chassis away from the much stronger MkIV varient. On high mileage cars, two sections at the top of the towers failed at the welded joints, causing suspension collapse. The brace stops this direct load on the welded section. AC denied the problem and funnily enough when they manufactured the MkV chassis [based upon a CRS chassis]for a short period it had extra braces built into the chassis to negate the need for the brace we owners are fitting. Strange that??? Have you converted from 16inch wheels to the wider/better 15 inch ones? Fantastic effect on the handling and dry weather grip, however quite expensive to do. Any advice/help you need please feel free to contact me, best wishes Alan