Author Topic: Big mileage on a Mk IV  (Read 2218 times)

neil morgan

• View Profile
Big mileage on a Mk IV
« on: December 24, 2012, 20:33:26 »
Hi Guys. New boy in town. Been reading the forum for a while now and beginning to feel a bit voyeuristic (is that a word?) so thought I should say hello. It’s nice to see how much you all enjoy your cars.  I hope to join you soon but currently ACless.[:(] Had Cobra blood in the veins since I made Scalextric models of them at school in late ‘60s early ‘70s. It’s taken me that long to get enough ££’s together to think about buying one! Got my heart set on a Mk IV, preferably LHD as I want to tour some of Europe…….if anyone knows of one that needs a loving home at reasonable money please let me know. Meanwhile I’ll continue to take pleasure in your pleasure and try to resist the temptations of the replicas.

With that in mind, what are your thoughts about putting miles on a Mk IV or any classic for that matter. Will it seriously reduce its value even if well maintained? Most ads put a lot of emphasis on what seems an unreasonably low mileage for a car that is begging to be driven. Perhaps it would be better to buy a replica and run it ragged?
   Thanks for reading, going now to put two mince pies out for Santa in case he brings me the present at the top of my letter[:D], have a Merry Christmas.

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
Big mileage on a Mk IV
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 13:12:31 »
Neil, they were and are built to be driven. You can have the best of both worlds - do the mileage then do the maintenance. Twice the fun for half the price and should you have to sell there will be a lovely fat folder with all of your car's history. I can think of only one reason for keeping an A.C. off the road and that is salt which, sadly, is a fact of winter life in some parts of the world...
   Voyeuristic - good word. Hope you find your Mk. IV soon.

SB7019

• View Profile
Big mileage on a Mk IV
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 13:27:06 »
Neil.

Welcome, and I expect I speak for many in wishing you luck in finding the right car before the summer driving and events season begins.

With regards to mileage and depreciation I am not an expert but most MkIVs seem to have increased in value of the past few years and current prices appear to be dependent more on condition than mileage.  As almost all the wearing parts are obtainable at reasonable prices this is logical - certainly in comparison to some of the "exotics" of similar vintage that can be bought for equivalent money.

This parts availability is also supported by the replica industry, though I doubt if replicas will have the same potential to appreciate in value in the future as many more can still be produced.

The build quality of many replicas is also questionable so their capacity to be run ragged is unlikely to be as great as that of the MkIV,  which seems to thrive on such treatment. The fact that John Norris's half shaft failure earlier this year was a notable exception is good testimony  to this as "run ragged" may have been an understatement here. The cheering crowds would certainly support this view.

Hope you have a an enjoyable and successful hunt.  BTW  - Bruce - is your LHD car still for sale?