Author Topic: Replacing instrument lights  (Read 2424 times)

jbottini

• View Profile
Replacing instrument lights
« on: December 31, 2006, 13:55:29 »
All, On my Mark IV, I've speedo, ammeter and one other gauge light out. With wide hands and stubbly fingers, replacement of even speedo bulb is impossible. Has anyone found a way to accopmlish this? The smaller gauges are a real mystery..I don't see taking the dash apart. Thanks, Jim

linklaw

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 18:00:42 »
Jim, if you can reach the speed nuts on the back of the speedo, you can remove the speedo from the front of the dash, while seated comfortably in the driver's seat.  The bulb holders push in to the back of the speedo and into the tach as well.  The smaller instruments may just push into the dash. I know I replaced some bulbs in mine and I am almost positive I just grabbed them and pulled them out.  The round multi idiot light holder above the steering column just pulls out, if I remember correctly and uses those tiny screw base bulbs that are available at hobby shops for model trains. I believe its the same bulb used in the MGB brake circuit test switch on the left hand side of the dash on US MK II cars, FWIW.  If you remove the leather covered under dash cover on the driver's side, I think there's enough room to reach behind the dash and remove the speed nuts on both speedo and tach. John

jbottini

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 21:05:52 »
quote:
Originally posted by linklaw

Jim, if you can reach the speed nuts on the back of the speedo, you can remove the speedo from the front of the dash, while seated comfortably in the driver's seat.  The bulb holders push in to the back of the speedo and into the tach as well.  The smaller instruments may just push into the dash. I know I replaced some bulbs in mine and I am almost positive I just grabbed them and pulled them out.  The round multi idiot light holder above the steering column just pulls out, if I remember correctly and uses those tiny screw base bulbs that are available at hobby shops for model trains. I believe its the same bulb used in the MGB brake circuit test switch on the left hand side of the dash on US MK II cars, FWIW.  If you remove the leather covered under dash cover on the driver's side, I think there's enough room to reach behind the dash and remove the speed nuts on both speedo and tach. John

John, I got the speedo done today while the seats are out. One of the tabs was broken off of the bulb holder, but rather than try to get it out and replaceit,  I reinserted it and put some silicone on the outside of it and the speedo housing with a 9" cutip..should hold. Smaller gauges appear to have the same type of mechanism to hold them as the speedo and tach. I'll gingerly test your theory when my back unkinks. Did one side marker light as well in pass footwell, had to hog hole out a bit to get socket back in. These are early 80's Corvette lights and based on today any auto parts store has them. Anyone else have a thought on this and aux instruments? Jim

ak1234

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 16:33:06 »
JIm,

I also have the same problem ...thanks for the post.  I also had the 2 little screws that hold the wind shield frame loosen up .. cant seem to get my fingers up there also.

Ron