Author Topic: Unknown Ace  (Read 5100 times)

bex316

• View Profile
    • BEX316
Unknown Ace
« on: March 30, 2008, 00:02:16 »
Unlike Antoine Prunet's unknown Ace topic which unfortunately never materialized on this forum here are two photos of an early Ace (i.e. long bootlid/trunklid) during restoration that Tim Isles, Keith Lessiter and myself are as yet unable to identify. Obvious are the wide flares on the rear wheelarches. The car is RHD as can be seen but not sure if it's original RHD or converted from LHD.
   Does anybody recognize this car or at least have any clue?
   The registrar would be most happy to receive any information.

Jerry

aex125

• View Profile
Unknown Ace
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 16:49:36 »
Sorry I cannot offer much in the way of identification, but with those fender flares, this could be a relative of my car. Do you have a picture of the front inner fenders? There is something there that may provide a clue to bound what chassis #s it might be bewteen. BTW, at what chassis # did the short boot start?
   Jay

bex316

• View Profile
    • BEX316
Unknown Ace
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 19:46:04 »
Jay,

A coincidenence (or maybe not) that just you are the first one to reply as one of us even thought for a moment it's AEX125!
   Unfortunately I do not have further pictures of this car.
   I'm interested in the possible clue on the front inner fenders that you're referring to that might give an indication to the possible chassis number range.
   The short boot started around chassis # 266.
   Thanks for now.

Jerry

aex125

• View Profile
Unknown Ace
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 04:59:32 »
Jerry,
   The fender flares on this car are a bit larger than my car, but maybe they saw the same body man at some point in their life. As for the possible clue on the inner fenders; There is a subtle difference in the inner fenders of the early versus later cars. In later cars the inner fender starts at the front and comes back to where it turns outboard and then goes straight to the outer fender. On AEX125 (an early '56 car) the inner fender comes back and when it turns, it turns at a 45 degree angle for a few inches before it make the straight turn to the outer fender. The distance of the 45 portion is wider at the top than the bottom, and is visible in the engine bay pictures of many of the early cars. I have not been able to put a chassis number to the change, but have seen the straight version on some pictures of '57 cars. When I originally responded I thought the short boot lid was cut in later than #266 ( and thought it might have been a 1958 change), so it may not provide any more insight into the car above. I also realize most of you have been involved with these cars longer than I have, so you may already know about this difference in which case maybe you can educate me on the when and why for the change. AEX125 also has another inner fender feature I was wondering about. There is an oval hole that looks original that is cut into the right inner fender at the lower portion. It is about 4" long and it's the edges are very clean and symmetrical. Any insight on this would also be appreciated.
   Thanks,
   Jay

bex316

• View Profile
    • BEX316
Unknown Ace
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 00:18:13 »
Jay,

I don't know if you have access to the Original Ace & Cobra book by Rinsey Mills but I guess the photo on page 26 showing the engine bay of AE24 (almost the first Ace produced) and in particular the inner wing/fender shows what you tried to explain regarding the shape of the turn on early cars (as opposed to the picture on page 28 for instance).
   Now that I see it again I remember noticing the difference before, I just forgot about it. Thanks for refreshing my memory and confirming the difference in shape.
   I don't know why it was changed although the later shape looks to be easier (i.e. cheaper) to fabricate.
   I will check this coming weekend if my car also has the oval hole in the right inner fender at the lower portion as you describe.

Jerry

aex125

• View Profile
Unknown Ace
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 03:40:21 »
Jerry, Its tough to tell from the picture in the book and so I took one of AEX125

Edit added- I also looked at a picture I have of what I think is AE25, and its inner fender in this area is rounded and does not have the sharp bends. It looks like there are at least 3 different versions of the inner fender.

I also took one of the oval hole and in doing so realized my memory had failed me (yet again)and the hole is vertical, not horizontal.

This picture was taken from the top of the fender looking down.

Jay
   PS Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

pjbowman

• View Profile
Unknown Ace
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 18:13:23 »
Jay - just as a point of interest, AEX127 has the same oblong hole in the right side inner fender. No idea what is is for, and why it's only on the right hand side.

Peter
Peter B.

aex125

• View Profile
Unknown Ace
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 04:50:55 »
Peter,
   Thanks for the info and now I at least know the hole is original. Maybe some day we'll figure out what the purpose was.
   Jay

bex316

• View Profile
    • BEX316
Unknown Ace
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 16:03:53 »
I'm almost sure I found a video of the same car on YouTube.
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cIOcwB9Rn0
   Hope to find out its identity through the restoration company that posted the video.

Jerry

tinnes

• View Profile
Unknown Ace
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 04:59:14 »
Very interesting thread - I found the following amongst the list of entrants for the 1956 Sebring 12 hour race -

37    Joseph Hap Dressel/William F.Woodbury/Frank Pohanka*    AC Ace    Joseph Hap Dressel    154

Decoded as car#; drivers; type; owner; number of laps completed

Good luck with the search - regards - tom i

BEX308

• View Profile
Unknown Ace
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 14:21:47 »
Most likely this car is AE 90. I contacted the restoration shop and was told the owner wishes to remain anonymous at this time but does plan to vintage race the car later this year. My interest in this car is twofold; first, my Ace also has worn a Buick engine since the 1960's and second, my car was at one time owned by Bill Woodbury's daughter's former husband who I have not been able to locate. I was hoping to possibly make a connection so I might complete the ownership chain for my car as well as establish more race history for the handful of BOP powered Aces. Regards Pete

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Unknown Ace
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 13:48:49 »
Pete,

Is your car coincidentally shown on youtube during a restoration? a Buick engine with crossflow intake and webers?

Gus

BEX308

• View Profile
Unknown Ace
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 14:21:18 »
Gus,
   The youtube subject is the car in this thread and is in a shop in Virginia (www.classiccarcenter.net) listed under current projects; 308 has downdraft webers and is currently under restoration in Pennsylvania. There were at least 5 Aces with BOP power that I know of including this one. This approach seems to be where Ken Rudd was heading after the Zephyr 2.6 before Shelby showed up with all the Ford money and ended it. 300HP out of a 320 pound engine fits the Ace very nicely.
   Pete

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Unknown Ace
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 15:11:17 »
that was a nice car. Sounds like you should have some fun with that kind of power in a little Ace!

Gus