Author Topic: AC Cobra Mk III for sale  (Read 8159 times)

SB7015

• View Profile
AC Cobra Mk III for sale
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2012, 22:55:49 »
Sadly I thought that Chris Evans had finally purchased a real car to appreciate the finer driving experiences in life! May be it doesn't drive that well after Lord Luitenant James Ingleby crashed it?

Malcolm

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
AC Cobra Mk III for sale
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2012, 14:16:10 »
This car was sold by Christies in 1988 Beaulieu for £88,000 (According to the then owner Ingleby).

Bonhams sale states:

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20145/lot/115/

"the Cobra was offered for sale at auction in the UK and was purchased by the current vendor.
   'NAN 599D' had suffered some front-end damage immediately prior to the sale and in 1989 was despatched to Autokraft, which by this time was building the Cobra MkIV. There is correspondence on file with Brian Angliss at Autokraft regarding the restoration/rebuild, which appears to have taken 6/8 months and was billed at £36,000 in August 1990. "

The detail (or lack of) does not state if it was repaired or rebodied. £36,000 is also a big bill for "repair work"

Is there an insurance reason that cars were rebodied (and in some cases new chassis) when they could have simply been repaired?(ie CAT D on V5/c?)
   I hope there is only one COB6105

rstainer

• View Profile
AC Cobra Mk III for sale
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2012, 17:09:45 »
The Register on the Club's website records 6105 as (a) being rebodied but nor rechassied in 1989 and (b) not having a replica. If anyone has different information please let me know.

Rebodied vs repaired? There are no insurance, taxation or registration differences.

nikbj68

• View Profile
AC Cobra Mk III for sale
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2012, 21:20:19 »
Typically for insurance purposes, repairers will take "the path of least resistance" to return a vehicle to pre-accident condition, so combining that fact with Robin`s statement, although £36k seems like a huge repair bill*, it could well have been more to repair rather than replace the body, on paper!!!
   The cost of repair vs. value of vehicle wasn`t sufficient to class it as an insurance write-off, so no Cat C/D etc.

*I wonder if there were additional works carried out above and beyond the insured incident damage, at the same time, the difference between insurance payout & total figure having been paid for by the owner? We`re getting into the realms of the unanswerable here, I understand! [:I]

rstainer

• View Profile
AC Cobra Mk III for sale
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2012, 16:36:57 »
The speculation is correct, 6105 receiving the full Angliss 'as new' treatment in 1989. If the car had comprehensive insurance, the insurer would have paid a much smaller pre-agreed sum.

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
AC Cobra Mk III for sale
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2012, 23:42:50 »
I did find out today that this car was actually crashed at the Christies auction during a photo shoot but however went on to be sold. The damage was not that extensive (Estimated at £5,000),therefore it was the subsequent purchaser who elected to spent the £36,000 with Autokraft  in 1989.

aaron

• View Profile
AC Cobra Mk III for sale
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2012, 18:02:17 »
quote:
Originally posted by Flyinghorse

I did find out today that this car was actually crashed at the Christies auction during a photo shoot but however went on to be sold. The damage was not that extensive (Estimated at £5,000),therefore it was the subsequent purchaser who elected to spent the £36,000 with Autokraft  in 1989.

Very interesting, damage not that expensive at 5K for a photoshoot ? Were they not supposed to be taking photos instead of crashing the car [:0]

I guess Angliss,gave the owner the option,but I am sure he made more money out of the 36 grand repair job,than he would out of a 5 grand repair job...........[;)]