Author Topic: Vintage Racing  (Read 10509 times)

shep

• View Profile
Vintage Racing
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 18:43:48 »
Hi Bruce, From experience when I have fitted a video camera to the car in the past, something always seems to go wrong and you end up with 20 mins looking at the Armco! Let me get the first outing out of the way, and I'll maybe fit one before the next race. I have looked at those Hero cams, and they look perfect for all kinds of action sports. I may have to buy one myself! Have a great Easter. Andy.

shep

• View Profile
Vintage Racing
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 16:25:33 »
Just a quick word to say we had great fun at Donington Park, but unfortunately didn't bring home any pots! Qualifying was OK, although the engine didn't pull 100%, but I was 4th on the grid behind a Lotus Elise, an Aston DB2, and Robin Pearce in Tim's Ace Bristol. After the lunch break, when we tried starting the engine to warm up for the race, it was only running on 4 cylinders. The middle 2 had wet plugs, so David changed them which cured the problem. The start was good, but a Jag XK140 used its torque to come from 2 rows back, and take 2nd place. The new plugs made all the difference to our car, and I knocked 3 seconds off my qualifying lap time, and stuck with the leaders. I managed to pick off two cars, and was close on the heels of the XK140 who on lap 5 held second place. It was only going to be a matter of time, as our Ace was quicker through the corners and later on the brakes, which more than made up for the lower torque and power. Then about lap 6 there was a spit and a bang from the engine exiting a corner, but then it cleared on the straight. The next corner the same thing happened, and gradually it took longer and longer to clear, until I eventually had to retire. Robin Pearce was the first Ace home followed by Paul Conway and Tim Pearce (who also celebrated his birthday). At least in the results we won fastest lap in our class, which bodes well for the next outing at Brands on Mon 5th May. I know this is not strictly CRS or Superblower subject matter, but I thought you may like to hear how the weekend went.

nashvet

• View Profile
Vintage Racing
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2013, 04:10:58 »
It has been a long time since I started this thread.  However, currently I am at my second race weekend with my MK IV.  My first event ( SVRA at Sebring Intl. Raceway) was also the first time I drove the car longer than a couple of miles test drive right after purchase.  That weekend ended prematurely with a transmission failure during qualifying.  This weekend is with HSR at Road Atlanta.  So far so good!  new trans. works well as do Goodyear tires on 15" FIA style wheels.  Have also removed windscreen and replaced with race windscreen as well as removed carpet and seats.  I added a vintage style competition seat and harness.  Fuel Safe made a relica of the original tank in the factory location.  Sway bars were fabricated front and rear which took care of severe body roll that was experienced at Sebring.  I am having a great time although I am very much under power compared to the rest of my group.  I am currently running the stock 302 with Holley Carb.  The car seems to get a lot of positive attention!

John "Mac"

REV

• View Profile
Vintage Racing
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2013, 09:03:15 »
Thats fantastic!

Keep us informed... and some pictures would be good!

Good luck.

:-)

French Frie

• View Profile
Vintage Racing
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2013, 21:15:12 »
+1 regarding the pics... It would be great !

nashvet

• View Profile
Vintage Racing
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2013, 18:49:37 »
I only have one picture from this past weekend's race with HSR at Road Atlanta in northeast Georgia.  I had a great time even though It was my first race in the car.  I went to Sebring at the end of Feb. but lost the transmission during qualifying and did not get to race.  This week end car did great although with the stock 302 street engine I was out-horsepowered!  I still won my class beating a 69 Z-28 Camaro and a small block corvette.

nashvet

• View Profile
Vintage Racing
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2013, 18:51:21 »
can someone tell me how to post a photo???

REV

• View Profile
Vintage Racing
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2013, 19:03:14 »
A previous thread thats worth a read.

:-)

http://www.acownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2560&SearchTerms=photo,posting

nashvet

• View Profile
Vintage Racing
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2013, 20:21:24 »
Based on the link, do all photos have to be hosted on an online site to post?

nikbj68

• View Profile
Vintage Racing
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2013, 23:32:52 »
Hi John; no, photos cannot be hosted on this forum. As long as you can pick up the html code for an image, you can post it here with [img] before it, and [/img] after it.
   (Using the 'reply to topic' button rather than 'quick reply' gives you a lot more options, such as the button puts the img bits into the post for you.)

E.g. [img]http://www.sportscardigest.com/wp-content/uploads/JMI_8330.jpg[/img]
   gives you this:

(Courtesy of the SportsCarDigest Tour Auto report, please visit to view more of Julien Mahiels` great photos.)

nashvet

• View Profile
Vintage Racing
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2013, 03:38:55 »
Here goes

nashvet

• View Profile
Vintage Racing
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2013, 03:48:59 »
[/URL][/img]

nashvet

• View Profile
Vintage Racing
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2013, 03:50:36 »
sorry for the large size

jrlucke

• View Profile
Vintage Racing
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2013, 05:27:46 »
Looks good, fyi, Richard Sloop has several additional shots posted to the HSR page on Facebook.

John

nikbj68

• View Profile
Vintage Racing
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2013, 09:08:28 »
Lovin` the Red 'n' Gold! Good to see you ahead of the `Vette, too!