Author Topic: CRS  (Read 3975 times)

mossfred

• View Profile
CRS
« on: October 29, 2008, 22:45:36 »
I have just stumbled upon this forum by accident! I have owned my CRS since new and probably like some of you was unhappy with the performance, it wouldnt do over 120 mph!

I have spent the last seven years developing the motor after 8 blow ups it is now running reliably at 520 hp using the stock Ford eecIV emu, PMS piggyback controller, ported TFS heads, big cam and Vortech T trim supercharger @ 12lbs boost, been to the dyno many times!

I started out with the Powerdyne belt drive s/c but it snapped belts too often then tried the gear driven Powerdyne that kept ruining its bearings (they are junk), anyway the point is that i have tried most mods like a few others on this board, exhaust systems etc but it is a shame that i had not found you before, it probably could have saved me a fortune!

I still have a few niggles, one is the fuel tank supply being too small to supply enough fuel, no adequate baffling in the tank, ( i havn"t tried to get the tank out yet), difficult?  Another is wheels and tyres, i have thrown away the old Avons and used the only half decent substitute that i could find, Kuhmos, but i think that big 15s may be the way to go, are they available for the peg drive? Steering undergeared but cant find a quick rack?

I probably have many other questions but cant think just now but would be interesting to share some experiences, i always carry a spare clutch  cable in the boot etc etc!

Fred

Mark IV

• View Profile
CRS
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 00:07:17 »
15" wheels are available (see Hawk or Steve @ Brooklands) for them in the UK) but good high performance tires of the correct sizes are getting harder to come by....even the 16" sizes are thinning ranks.

Good on you for tweaking your CRS. I was at Brooklands when the CRS prototype was going together.

Mark-Anthony

• View Profile
CRS
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 10:21:58 »
Hi Fred

I assume you are a member of the club, if not join quick, all the members have the same addiction you do!

Let us know which chassis number you have so that your car's details and modifications can be added to the CRS register, if not already

Almost amusing to read your e-mail.  (Note correct use of the word 'almost').  I was very unhappy with the power output of my CRS too so I have spent £Loads curing that problem.

I went about curing the (lack of) power in a totally different way though I did initially want to supercharge it I learnt, very fast, just how costly that would be.  I also found out that a Paxton style blower wouldn't fit on top of the motor without cutting a huge hole in it - which I really didn't want to do.

I have just sent an extensive article (and photos) about the power increase, how I went about it, and how much it cost, to the club magazine, which I'm told will be in the November issue, for your delectation.

I'm now running about 350 bhp and about the same torque.  No idea what the top end is - not interested - I'm an acceleration addict (ex-biker).  Can't quite believe that you can run 500bhp without shredding your tyres at every set of lights.  How in the name of God himself do you go 'round corners?  Sideways?  You are, I suspect, a braver man than me.

As to the fuel issues.  I assume you are aware that your fuel tank is 12 gallons.  You didn't know?  You thought it was only 8 or 9 gallons.  Well there's a really good reason for that.  The bottom section of the tank (about 3 gallons) can't really be used, a design fault.  That's why you think it's far too small.

I have the same problems (you me and every other CRS owner).  I am currently having a new tank built for my CRS.  It will come to about 17 gallons and the company building it will, once mine has been fully sorted, be able to build you one and mail it to you for considerably less than it has cost me but then - hey - that's what clubs are all about.  If ever I need anything I can almost guarantee that some one in the club has:- got one/built one/is selling one/knows why you're an idiot and shouldn't be doing it anyway.  It will have proper baffling, foam filling, a new sender and (sadly) a new, but accurate, fuel gauge.

The very lovely Smiths fuel gauge which is in my Mk III dash (dunno why my cars got a Mk III dash - the original owner who bought it new doesn't know either).  I love the Smiths gauge but it is not compatible with the new sender.  I'll keep it in case the next owner wants it replaced.

Let me have your e-mail address and I'll send you the first draft of that fuel tank article which is intended for the December issue of ACtion magazine - if they'll have it.  The info' in it will take you to the guy building my tank and, as he already has at least one more club member lined up for a new tank, then the more of us that get them the cheaper it will be in the long run (and the more people that will owe me beer!).

As to the sticky tyres most of us CRS owners are on your side there.  I couldn't wait to get the Avons off and I too have just fitted Kuhmos, massive difference - but - the biggest difference came with having the suspension correctly set up (by Big Al at Thunder Road. tel: 01483 763  399).  The car has been transformed.

You can definately fit more sticky tyres but you'll have to increase your wheel size - easy enough - just not cheap, Gerry Hawkridge will have what you need (Tel: 01892 750 341).  If he doesn't he can get them.  I think he supplies AC themselves though I stand to be corrected on that point.

Get your e-mail address to me and I'll send you the stuff I've written on the tank, as to the article I wrote on the engine upgrade you'll see it in the magazine in a week or so.  Oh yes, let us know where you're based and we'll see if we can't get together and act the hooligan one week-end.  Track day maybe?

Best Regards

Mark-Anthony
   CRS chassis #22

Mark-Anthony

• View Profile
CRS
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 09:38:53 »
Sorry Fred

You're in Monarco - blonde moment.

I've just had news from the bloke building my new fuel tank that the sender he's putting in the tank has had to be uprated (read 'more expensive') but it means that he can use the original Smiths fuel gauge (read 'cheaper').

The result: I will actually save a few quid overall and get to keep the (now accurate) correct Smiths gauge.

Regards

Mark-Anthony
   CRS #22

cobham cobra

• View Profile
CRS
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 11:22:57 »
Maybe I've got confused when you said you were pleased to be rid of the Avons, I thought the re-issued Avon race rubber was the way to go ?
   If I've dropped enough hints at home, then my Christmas present this year will be a set of 15 inch wheels and Avons. Currently I run Kuhmos on the standard 16 inch wheels and they are a real improvement on the tired old rubber that was on there before. I think part of the problem with tyres/grip is that our cars typically do low mileage each year with the result that the tyres get old before they wear out and as they age the level of grip reduces.  A number of club members running Mk IV and CRS models have moved to Avons on the 15 inch wheel (from Gerry @ Hawk or Steve @ Brooklands). The tyres are available direct from Avon newly manufactured and based on the race tyre from the 60s (or 70s?) but now they have the correct markings for road use. From what I've heard the new rubber provides much improved grip and they fill the wheel arches and look very period, the downside is the wear rate is a little higher and they obviously have a higher aspect ratio. If you want a low profile option, I think Big Al at Thunder Road has a second-hand set of 17 inch split rims for a MkIV tel:  01483 763 399

With 520 hp to play with, how come you've not blown your gearbox yet ? Or have you had the box modified as well?  I thought 350 bhp was approaching the maximum for a T5 box.

Tomorrow we have the club sprint at Goodwood, it's cold and has already snowed in Sussex this week..................no I'm not at all envious about Monaco[8D][8D]

John.

mossfred

• View Profile
CRS
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 14:49:13 »
Mark-Anthony, i will be very interested in a new tank but it will need a half inch fuel supply outlet! My chassis no is 17518. You are quite correct wheelspin is a problem in 1st and to a lesser degree in 2nd but the power is quite high in the rpm range so the car is still very tractable/usable. My email address is frdmoss@yahoo.com.
   John, i was refering to the original Avons which were as hard as nails! The gear box supplied with my car was a Tremec tr3550 and it hasnt broken yet! I suspect the limited traction makes less strain on the box.Also noted is a lack of limited slip in the differetial (BTR Hydratrak) perhaps there is a proper lsd for this diff available?? I cannot find any info on BTR.
    I am going to look at 15in wheels as i feel with wider rubber it may fill the arches better, has anyone tried this? Also looking at Michelin TB15 or TB5 semi slick road legal race rubber.
   Regards
   Fred

cobham cobra

• View Profile
CRS
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 17:18:04 »
Hi Fred,
   You may want to contact the Mk IV registrar, Alan Faulkner-Stevens. He swapped over to the 15 inch and Avon combo earlier this year and can give you first hand knowledge. Alan's day job is building powerful Mustangs and working on Cobras and other interesting stuff, he may have a few suggestions regarding your limited slip diff. "Big Al" at Thunder Road is also well worth a phone call, both guys really know about our cars and what works well.

John.

Alan F-S website is http://www.dragonwheelsrestorations.co.uk/index.htm

This link is to photos of Alan's car with the 15 inch / Avon combo.
   http://www.dragonwheelsrestorations.co.uk/contact.htm

The Avon link is http://www.coopertire.com/html/experience/motorsports_avon.aspx?tab=1

dart427

• View Profile
CRS
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 17:50:43 »
Hi, Fred. Your are right! Performance of my MK4 wasn't Cobra-like. But chose a different way. - Not boost but displacement.

I changed the whole drive train (engine, transmission and diff. ratio). Now, performance is right. Other mods: 1) hand-built exhaust system (under car) 2) new fuel delivery (lines 1/2 inch) 3) foot box mods (more space for exhaust header and heat protection, etc.). If you want really good street performance you must go with low profile 17 inch rims. But, if you want a really period look, you have to go with 15 inch rims.
   Horst

dart427

• View Profile
CRS
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 18:21:57 »
Fred,
   in addition to my reply: With 17 inch rims, you have plenty of space for big brakes.
   If your car has the MGB steering rack, there are different ratios available.

Horst