Author Topic: CRS fuel tank  (Read 3614 times)

Mark-Anthony

• View Profile
CRS fuel tank
« on: August 11, 2008, 13:50:17 »
Hi Guys,

I have discovered that as the new motor in my CRS puts out considerably more power than the old one it also uses more fuel.  (Can't say that caught me by surprise.)

As every CRS owner knows the fuel gauge in the CRS is a pathalogical liar and is only really honest when it tells you that it's nearly empty.

So . . .

I have thought about putting a bigger fuel tank into my car together with a good sender unit.  Has anyone else done this yet?

Unless it has already been done before it will become a financial possibility if (and only if) I can get at least another 5 (preferably 10) CRS owners to join in th project.

Anyone already done it?
   Anyone interested in doing it?

Mark-Anthony
   CRS#22

Mark-Anthony

• View Profile
CRS fuel tank
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 11:30:26 »
OK, OK,

It's clear that you're all reading this posting but no-one's adding anything of value, or no-one wants a bigger tank, or worse, you'd like a bigger tank but you don't want to join in a costs-sharing excercise.

I have had lengthy discussions with Gerry Hawkridge who was as helpful and honest as usual.  It looks as though it will cost £1,500 - £2,000 to build a first tank.  Thereafter the costs will plummet.

The process (which came as a shock to an ignoramus like me) is:- The first car will have to be off the road for some time while the fore and aft bulkheads are removed, the interior stripped out, the tank stripped out, the tank and the space left measured to see where, and how far, the existing tank can be expanded.  Then the tank will be sent off to be professionally cleaned, brought back for welding.  Welded up, crack tested, fitted, and all the panels, bulkheads and interior re-fitted (they will have to be stripped out for the fitting of the first tank to the first experimental car).  Then the finished tank will be ready to be copied, relatively cheaply, thereafter.

Having spent many thousands of pounds, and three years, fitting a new Ford Motorsport engine while retaining the politically correct emmision ratings (read fuel injection) I do not feel inclined to conduct another engineering excercise.  I would however be happy, if I could find a few like-minded club members, to put my car up as the ginea pig while we all shared the costs - and the benefits.

I currently have one co-conspirator, I need a few more.  HELP!

Many thanks,

Mark-Anthony
   CRS #22

cobham cobra

• View Profile
CRS fuel tank
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 12:09:19 »
Hi Mark-Anthony,
   Sorry hear you've had such a poor reply. It may be because many members are away on holiday this month and not checking the forum.  I know of three or four owners on their hols this week. Hopefully things will pick up in September.
   John.

ACE-of-Diamonds

• View Profile
CRS fuel tank
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 21:22:09 »
Mark,
   I am not a CRS owner, but offering some suggestions that may help.
   Have you tried contacting AC to see if they will provide drawings of where the tank is housed, or will develop a tank for the car?

I do not see why you should have to dismantle everything ahead of fitting, being relatively modern, dimension details should be available.

Have you approached any fuel tank fabricators?

Have you considered the internal design of the tank, such as baffling and an integrated swirl pot(this may be handy on a fuel injected car).

If you are putting a very powerful engine in, what about foam filling? This for safety and handling.

I did a little digging re: sender units and found something that might be worth looking into (it may be expensive though): http://www.tek-tanks.com/senders_gauges/digital.html
   (I know it is for boats, but I think still worth a look).

There are lots of fabricators of tanks, an example here is:
   http://www.proalloy.co.uk/cgi-bin/shopwise.pl?id=proalloy
   I do not know how good their work is, but if you go to a professional car tank builder they will know the implications of what you require.

Another possibility to look at is a fully plastic tank such as:
   http://www.imagentaplc.co.uk/fuel.html
   You probably are going to get set-up costs and there need some commitment to go this route.

I know you want support from fellow owners, but costs and installation details are what people like ahead of committing. Someone always has to do the "leg work" and generally will not get money back for it (praise is always nice to receive); so trying to get estimates etc.  might help encourage people to have some input.

You have gone to a good source with Gerry, and if you can get a tank made to suite other marks then you will widen your market - what about approaching some of the kit car makers and see if you can hide costs with them. (I know I should not mention "kit" but they use fuel tanks as well and they must be bespoke).

Ok, nothing concrete here, but hope helps,
   Q.

ACE-of-Diamonds

• View Profile
CRS fuel tank
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 10:13:37 »
OK, but trying to be positive there must be current knowledge out there and in theory cars are to be built.

Mark-Anthony

• View Profile
CRS fuel tank
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 13:07:37 »
ACE-of-diamonds,

Just spoken (at length) with Proally Motorsport and now we're talking £700 or less.

Many, many thanks.

Could be I owe you a beer (or three)

Mark-Anthony
   CRS #22

cobham cobra

• View Profile
CRS fuel tank
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 14:10:32 »
OK someone had to suggest it[;)]
   It's August so it's the silly season.
   Thought this might be a helpful suggestion, it requires no dismantling  of your car and will significantly increase the range http://www.fuelproof.co.uk/aviation/airfieldaviation.htm

And no you don't have to tell me where to put mi idea [:D]

On a serious note I will be interested to know what solution you come up with and if it can be applied to the MkIV. Do you carry a spare wheel/tyre? On a run I'm getting approximately 24 mpg, what are you getting with your new engine?
   John.

Mark-Anthony

• View Profile
CRS fuel tank
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 15:28:33 »
cobham cobra,

The whole reason I got the bigger motor was because I was so fed up with towing a fuel bowser.  However I am glad to see you know where to stick, sorry I meant "store", your idea!

I have now eliminated the rubber tank, the plastic tank, and the steel tank options - so it looks as though I'll fit a made to measure ally tank, foam filled.  All will be revealed (once I know) in ACtion.

I don't carry a spare.  So I'll increase the depth (front to back) of the fuel tank by a few inches as well as adding a few inches in height.  This will only cost me about 4 inches of horizontal boot space so no loss of squashy bags.  My wife's Louis Vuitton Steamer Trunk won't make it though.  I should end up with about 11 - 12 gallons.

With the old set up I was getting between 15 - 18 mpg and with the new motor I have yet to do a measured run but I figure she's doing about 22 - 25 mpg now.  I'm taking her out for a run at the week-end (August weather permitting) - so I'll let you know how she did next week.

Regards

Mark-Anthony
   CRS #22