Author Topic: What's that  (Read 6559 times)

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
What's that
« on: June 15, 2007, 18:41:04 »
Hi,

has anybody this plate in his car? What's the purpose of this? If it has no meaning I will cut it away.

Peter

jbottini

• View Profile
What's that
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 18:44:35 »
I must be missing something...what plate, is there a pic attached or is there a decoder to open something?

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
What's that
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 18:47:20 »
Sorry, is "plate" the wrong word? I the attached picture the arrow is pointing to the thing I have in mind.

jbottini

• View Profile
What's that
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 02:17:48 »
quote:
Originally posted by dkp_cobra

Sorry, is "plate" the wrong word? I the attached picture the arrow is pointing to the thing I have in mind.

I'll look over the week end and give you a guess...unless those out there know off the bat. It looks like a facory mount...is it duplicated on both sides?

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
What's that
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 11:39:46 »
quote:
Originally posted by jbottini

quote:
Originally posted by dkp_cobra

I'll look over the week end and give you a guess...unless those out there know off the bat. It looks like a facory mount...is it duplicated on both sides?

No, it's only on the one side.

jbottini

• View Profile
What's that
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 14:32:32 »
Just to be sure, this is a shot of the right front corner taken from behinh the wheelhouse? After all , it could be reversed.

jbottini

• View Profile
What's that
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 22:15:23 »
DPK,I've crawled under, gone underhood as far as I can and inspected withya mirror on astick. I can not answer the question. There is so many items in the way interior fibergleass fender li ners, exterior liners, radiator, and the like that I can't even find the plate. IT MAY WELL BE HIDDEN INSIDE APANEL ON A MKIV. I would not cut it off until you can figure out it's use. I suspect it is amount. The Autokraft folks did not put extra mounts in... By thge way, I assume this car is also LHD> JBottini

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
What's that
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 08:39:34 »
Yes, it is a LHS car and the picture shows the right front corner. Here is a picture of the same place with all parts mounted except the interior fibreglass fender.

The mount wasn't used for anything. Maybe it was used for mounting the horns but they are placed on the other side at my car. The reason why I am thinking about to remove the plate is that it constrict the air intake which can be used to cool down the brakes.

Peter

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
What's that
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 09:31:27 »
Hello Peter,
   My guess is, and I will check tonight on my car, that it could be for mounting the end piece of the air intake on the 302 EFI engined cars.

Regards
   Constant

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
What's that
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 11:29:02 »
Hi Constant,

yes, that would make sense. I saw such a car and the angle of the plate would fit such a construction.

Regards, Peter

jbottini

• View Profile
What's that
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 12:18:12 »
Gentlemen, If that's the case I'd love more pics. My efi intake is all in the engine compartment, no tube to the nose. I'll have to look for that hole as I could use it for intake for efi & footboxes as well. A problem that may solve another. As my car is AK1113 & is some what early, may have something to do with it. Jbottini

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
What's that
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 15:19:05 »
I'll check tonight and will take some pics.

Mark IV

• View Profile
What's that
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 19:14:02 »
Jim,
   Your car (AK1113) does not have the oval air intakes between the nose and the overiders as did your MK III. Most Mark IVs do not have them, although Brian did some that way to order and the later cars and lightweights have them. I am inclined to think the plate is for the Speed Density Sensor on the early EFI cars. Later cars are different.

jbottini

• View Profile
What's that
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2007, 21:20:12 »
Rick, you are correct as usual thati do not have brake cooling vents between parking lights and grill opening. But, I think if that opening exists (the one with the wire mesh covering in back of the arrow) in my car, it could resolve getting fresh air to engine as well as foot boxes

jbottini

• View Profile
What's that
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 21:48:41 »
DPK, what is your AK#? Jbottini