Author Topic: Ammeter  (Read 2905 times)

rsk289

• View Profile
Ammeter
« on: October 17, 2014, 00:51:46 »
Can anyone tell me if there should be a light to illuminate the original Lucas/Smiths style ammeter?  The gauge has a heavy bakelite casing with two screws for the charging wires, but no obvious provision for a bulb.  It is also a push fit in the dash, with no provision for a retaining clamp (which sometimes holds the bulb to light the instrument face from the side).  Was this the only instrument on the dash not to be lit, or am I missing something?
   Thanks,
   Roger

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
Ammeter
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 12:42:27 »
The lighting for the smaller gauges was from external bulbs mounted on brackets on the rear of the other gauges.
   The correct type Lucas BM4 ammeter is held in by four ears on the chrome body.

body.

tim isles

• View Profile
Ammeter
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 12:44:29 »
Roger, You are correct, no retaining clamp. Ammeter is a push fit into the dash. Bend out the prongs in the body sufficiently to ensure it stays in place once pushed in. With regard to lighting, your ammeter should have a series of cut outs running around the circumference of the body, loosely protected by a blue plastic insert intended to keep the dust out and allow a light to be shone in. A bulb and socket are attached to the gauge (oil pressure) above the ammeter. So when you turn the lights on the bulb shines a light through the blue plastic and illuminates the ammeter. At least that's the plan. Tim

rsk289

• View Profile
Ammeter
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 21:16:58 »
That's exactly the ammeter I have, so thanks very much chaps - just the info and photos I needed!