Author Topic: Trip report: SAAC-37 at Watkins Glen  (Read 2664 times)

SunDude

• View Profile
Trip report: SAAC-37 at Watkins Glen
« on: June 14, 2012, 03:51:51 »
I attended my first ever SAAC convention this past weekend at Watkins Glen, and have to say that it was absolutely fantastic!  The weather cooperated (for the most part) and the race track itself was stunning.

I met so many great people and saw so many beautiful cars on display and in action on the race track.  I felt like a kid in a candy store.

The race track is one of the greats, and sits atop a hill overlooking Lake Seneca in the distance.  The SAAC and SVRA shared the facility this weekend and the place was absolutely huge and sprawling, with cars and tents and people everywhere.  Every time I thought I'd reached the end of it, there was some more to see.

I met several of the U.S. Cobra forum guys – such as computerworks (Ron), Nedsel (Ned), cobrajeff (Jeff), mrmustang (Bill), mickmate (Nick), 1985 CCX (Jeff), bossmustang (Bill) and many more – and spoke with such luminaries as Cobra team driver Allen Grant, Canadian Olympian and Cobra owner Lorne Leibel, and Shelby team mechanic and author Phil Henny.  I even saw AC/DC singer Brian Johnson at the track.

There were so many fabulous cars in attendance, with both the SAAC and SVRA events running together, that at times it was hard to know where to look.  By my count the event attracted 19 original 260/289 Cobras, seven 427/428 Cobras and two original GT40s, not to mention dozens of replicas from ERA, Superformance, Everett-Morrison and so on.  There were too many Shelbys, Mustangs and Tigers for me to count, but surprisingly no Panteras or Mangustas (at least none that I saw).

The only disappointment was that Dr. Simeone didn’t bring CSX2287 to the convention from his collection in Philadelphia.  Now THAT would've been a real centerpiece for the 50th anniversary celebration.  Oh well...

Next stop: the Monterey Historics in August.

Here's a sampling of some of the pics I posted to my Flickr photostream.

The SunDude arriving at the race track on Day 1.  Unfortunately, I don't own a tow vehicle and had to leave my SPF Cobra at home.

A gorgeous 289 competition roadster.  I was told the chassis number was COB5999, but didn't see for myself.

CSX2302, one of many red 289s

CSX2367, a near-perfect 289 street Cobra that achieved a Premiere score in Division I concours judging.

CSX2394, recently discovered in an Ohio basement where it sat since 1973, dents and all

CSX3354, one of the last 427 Cobras ever made

CSX8007, which has been driven throughout the U.S. since it was completed in 1996 (85K miles and counting)

a 100% scratch-built replica produced from original NOS panels from Radford Coach Builders, supplier to AC Cars (this is NOT a Kirkham)

P/1045, a 1966 GT40 MkI road car

and P/1047, a 1966 GT40 MkIIB competition car that raced at Le Mans and Daytona, and that was recently sold for $6.1 million

Believe it or not, but both GT40s were raced this weekend.

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 13:10:10 »
quote:
Originally posted by SunDude

CSX3354, one of the last 427 Cobras ever made

I'd be very happy to own this car [:)]

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 14:44:51 »
Nice report, thanks!

I would have liked to drive out there, but had other obligations. Why not drive your SPF out there? It's not gonna melt! I believe the MKII GT40 was in the same circle as my Aceca at the Concourse of America last summer. A beast of a car. Personally I'm more of a MKI Afficionado! Would love to have a SPF MKI with a small block and Webers!

Gus