AC Owners Club Forum > Ace 'Brooklands' Forum

Non-starting

(1/5) > >>

AcemanToo:
Have now got a further problem - the car refuses to start! Got trailered home on the back of an AA truck a couple of weeks ago. AA man said the ignition control module was faulty. Got a new one and fitted it but no joy. Fitted a new engine management control unit (had one spare) but that didn't do it. Called in a mobile car electrics man who reckoned it was a faulty coil. Replaced the coil with a new one and it started first time. Also have new leads, rotor arm and distributor cap fitted. Starting got progressively worse and now I'm back to square one with the car not starting at all. On trying to start, the engine sort of coughs once and turns over easily on the starter motor but nothing more. Any ideas on what I now need to look at? The car is a 1995 model, DE 1034 with the injected 302 engine. Many thanks for any advice![:)]

B.P.Bird:
Patrick, an annoying situation I do sympathise. It seems that the new coil initially cleared the fault so perhaps this is the area you should start on ? Possibly the old coil expired from old age and the new coil is the wrong type or faulty ?

DGoose:
Hi Patrick,

It seems likely that you have an electrics issue as presumably the people who've suggested ignition modules and coils have good reason to do so but I had a similar problem with DE1017 earlier in the year which turned out to be a sticky fuel pump, probably down to lack of use over the winter.

May be way off the mark but the pumps are in a pretty exposed position and they are now getting on a bit, also worth checking filters as these tend to get ignored.

Let us know what you find.

David

AcemanToo:
Many thanks to you both for your ideas! The strange thing is, once the car has started (if it does) it runs like a dream with no misfires or hesitation. The coil and other parts are all correct for the engine - supplied by the most helpful American Car Parts - strongly recommended for good prices and quick service. I'm going to have another go at the car tomorrow - new fuel filter (changed it about five years ago) and also a check on the pump on the petrol tank. Although I can hear it pressurising the system,maybe there could be some fuel blockage, partial or otherwise. I'll let you all know how I get on. Is there a diagnostics port on the car do any of you know? Once again, all help and ideas gratefully received!

Max Allan:
Is the car fitted with Cobra immobiliser? I knew of someone with an Ace that developed starting problems. Fault was ultimately traced to the immobiliser.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version