Author Topic: Evans coolant  (Read 3524 times)

nick Godridge

• View Profile
Evans coolant
« on: March 23, 2015, 11:00:59 »
What are your experiences with this?

I am considering moving to this stuff, but, with a requirement to fill a 15 litre capacity system, am not keen to jump in blindly.

At approx 40squids/5 litres of prep fuid, and 65squids/5 litres of coolant, its a heavy investment.

Would be pleased to hear from anybody who has made the jump.

Thx
   Nick G

nikbj68

• View Profile
Evans coolant
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 11:38:18 »
Can`t see much difference between Evans & Castrol 4Life (which we have in the Greyhound), apart from the price... same boiling/freezing points, and litmus effect that indicates head gasket failure...

ACOCArch

• View Profile
Evans coolant
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 02:03:49 »
Originally posted by nick Godridge

What are your experiences with this?

A recent technical enquiry to Evans resulted in the following replies:

Q1. What is the coefficient of thermal expansion over range -20degC to +120degC,

A1. The co-efficient of expansion of water based 50/50 standard automotive antifreeze is approximately 5% by volume, Evans Waterless Engine Coolant is approximately 6% by volume.

Q2. Is this expansion consistent across that temperature range?;

A2. Yes, this expansion rate is consistent across these temperature ranges and again similar to that of 50/50. The 6% by volume figure is based on the high end of the temperatures that you have stated above.

Q3. Over that temperature range, are there any mixed-metal compatibility issues, eg with aluminium, copper, brass, cast iron?;

A3. None whatsoever. Evans will actually eliminate any galvanic action between different metallurgies, unlike standard water based antifreezes, this is just one of the main benefits of using Evans.
   Along with the elimination of the corrosion process to any component or part of a cooling system, the pressure in any system will be significantly reduced due to the fact that there is no vapour pressure to add to the expansion pressure.
   Evans is a “for life” product where the inhibitors within the fluid stay in solution without inhibitor drop-out.
   As there is no boiling and no evaporation, this eliminates the need to top-up the coolant for the time that you keep the car.

Q4. Over that temperature range, is the fluid compatible with EPDM coolant hose, or hose to CODAN SAE100 R6?

A4. Absolutely, Evans has no effect on hoses of any composition.

Personal Comment
   Perhaps the greatest concern is the increased expansion with temperature of Evans coolant. If the expansion tank 'water wedges', that is fills completely, the pressure relief valve in the cap will lift, the coolant will boil under the reduced pressure, and most of the coolant will blow out.

To prevent this it would seem advisable to have at least 1/3rd of the expansion tank capacity as vapour rather than liquid when at the maximum temperature.

For the AC 3000ME, with 16 litres of coolant, the expansion of Evan's coolant would be about 1 litre. The expansion tank capacity is marginal and so I have not converted.

ak1040

• View Profile
Evans coolant
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 07:29:24 »
Hi I was on a trip through france and Italy  and the switch on the kenlo packed up and dumped the evans/shell4 life , I had to have a repair at which point there was no way of finding replacement fluid in that part of France ie chamonix, so we had to drain all the fluid ouch and fill with water, so the next trip i ran with override switch , water and antifreeze,so I will not change back to Evans/shell4/life

Mark IV

• View Profile
Evans coolant
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 11:02:38 »
Some threads with opinions on Evans:

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/131928-evans-waterless-coolant.html

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/122745-waterless-coolant.html

It is marketed heavily to the heavy duty diesel trade where the ability to run an engine at higher temps provides increased power and economy. I for one do not see a big enough benefit to warrant it's use in a normal road car.

bobbylangley

• View Profile
Evans coolant
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 16:29:32 »
I had Evans coolant put in my MkIV by Steve Gilbey at Spirit and the best thing I did! Now I can sit in a jam without fretting and looking anxiously at the rising temperature gauge. I would recommend it.